The Shepherd Scholars Program annually honors outstanding students
The Shepherd Scholars Program annually honors Emporia State’s most outstanding students, as determined through a robust and competitive application process. Emporia natives R. Hershel and Augusta Shepherd established this program through an endowed gift of $150,000 to the ESU Foundation in 1995. Through the years, the scholarship has been further enhanced by contributions from the couple and their children.
Each year, the annual income from this fund is used to honor up to 15 outstanding scholars. Each scholar receives a plaque and a $1,500 award for the following academic year to recognize his or her achievements. In addition, they are designated ESU Shepherd Scholars for their senior year.
- be at least a junior (having completed at least 60 credit hours at the time of application);
- have at least two semesters of coursework remaining prior to degree attainment;
- and maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA.
The application period will open during the spring semester of each year. The applications are typically due March 1st.
Applications due March 2, 2020
To apply, submit the following:
- a completed application cover sheet - Select this link to submit the cover sheet (electronic form);
- a sample of your best college work (research paper, taped musical performance, art project, etc.);
- a letter of application that summarizes your accomplishments, includes a statement about the significance of your sample college work, and explains what this award would mean to you;
- transcript(s) of your college work (unofficial are accepted);
- and at least two letters of recommendation from faculty or staff, submitted under separate cover (by the faculty or staff)
Students do not need to be a member of the Honors College to receive this award.
Send applications materials to:
Dr. Gary Wyatt, Associate Provost
Plumb Hall room 205, Emporia State University, Emporia, KS 66801
All materials are due by Monday, March 2, 2020.
For additional information, please contact Brenda Wiggins, 620-341-5899.