Alumni Association Recruit + Hire + Advocate
As Alumni, You can Help ESU when you Advocate + Recruit + Hire Hornets
There are many ways you can support Hornet Nation
Being a part of Hornet Nation means you are a member of the Emporia State University family. Emporia State is focused on changing lives for the common good, and every member of Hornet Nation can contribute to Emporia State’s mission and future success!
Recruiting the next generation of Hornets, hiring fellow Hornets, advocating for Emporia State University, and giving are actions that lead to positive impact.
We are calling on you, Hornet Nation, to be the Hornet leaders of today by contributing to the current and future successes of the next generation of Hornet leaders.
This is the Hornet Nation way.
Every Hornet. Every Year.
New students drive Emporia State University. Your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins, friends and neighbors represent what could be the next generation of Hornet Nation. We are here to help you encourage students to attend Emporia State University.
- Request a recruiting packet. We would be happy to send you information and supplies to help in your efforts to reach out to potential students. Packets contain an Emporia State viewbook, information about special recruitment days and campus visits, admissions counselor business card, postcards and pennant.
- Refer a Hornet! Know a student who would be perfect for Emporia State? Let us know by referring a Hornet!
- Sign up for Corky’s Crew! Did you or a Hornet you know have a new baby recently? Sign up for Corky’s Crew! This program features special gifts for our newest members of Hornet Nation.
- Schedule a Campus Visit for a future Hornet. Nothing convinces a student to attend Emporia State quite like a campus visit.
- Share Your Story.
Helping current students prepare for their future careers, networking with other members of Hornet Nation, and assisting others as they grow professionally are meaningful ways to build Hornet Nation. Here’s how you can help.
Mentor a Business Major
- Share your expertise and mentor a student from the School of Business through the Mentor a Business Major program. The goal of the program is to give students the opportunity to learn from experienced professionals while preparing for life after college. Students are seeking someone who will provide them with honest feedback, guide them in developing the skills to be successful in the workplace, and paint a realistic picture of professional life.
Participate in an On-campus Recruiting Fair
- Emporia State hosts two teacher career fairs each year, as well as another fair for careers other than teaching. If these fairs fit well with your recruitment strategy, then we encourage you to participate. Many of the employers who participate in these opportunities obtain outstanding leads for new hires. Employers can schedule an on-campus interview day and conduct face to face interviews with potential candidates. For a full list of events or to schedule your on-campus recruiting dates, visit Career Services' website.
Provide Internships for ESU students
- Students who complete internships are better prepared for their careers and more competitive in the job market. Whether paid or unpaid, internships provide students hands-on experience in a professional field while employers are able to tap into current classroom training and observe a potential employee in their work environment. Internships are a great way to screen, recruit, and hire top talent from Emporia State. For more information in establishing internships for Emporia State students, go to Career Services
Present to a campus club, organization, or class
- If marketing your business to targeted students is a better fit for you, then consider making a presentation to campus clubs, organizations, or classes. Students love to learn from professionals who work in the fields they are pursuing, and these sessions provide you with an opportunity to share your experience while talking about your business. For more information, contact Career Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer to help conduct mock interviews or review a resume
- A wonderful way to give back to the university is by volunteering to conduct mock interviews and review Emporia State. These are opportunities to mentor a student by providing valuable feedback and potentially screen a candidate for a future position. For more information, contact Career Services at email@example.com
Post Jobs on Handshake
- If you hire new graduates, we encourage you to utilize Handshake to advertise your internship or full-time opportunities to our students and alumni. There is no cost to post jobs and this system allows you to query Emporia State student resumes, search for particular majors and skills, and register for all on-campus recruiting events. To create and manage your employer profile visit Career Services' website.
If you are targeting a mix of new and seasoned professionals, consider adding your job to our LinkedIn Group. The Emporia State University Alumni group on LinkedIn currently has over 1,600 members.
A strong public system of higher education is important to the future of our state and is central to ensuring the freedom our nation is founded upon. Public school systems provide access to opportunities for every citizen to improve his or her life. As advocates for Emporia State University and higher education, you ensure that Emporia State’s vision is advanced and we have the opportunity to change lives for the common good.
- Serve as a Hornet for Higher Education
- Sign up to receive newsletters and information to help you advocate for Emporia State University and higher education. For more information about serving as a Hornet for Higher Education, please contact the Office of Alumni Relations at (620) 341-5440 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get to know your elected officials
- Legislators and other elected officials listen to constituents. The more they know about your interests and passions, the better they will represent you. Share your story about how Emporia State has improved your life and encourage them to provide the same opportunities to future generations.
- Sign up to receive your legislators’ email newsletters.
- Follow your legislators on Facebook social media.
- Attend an Event
- Attend local legislative sessions and other events hosted by groups such as the Chamber of Commerce or League of Women Voters. Introduce yourself as a Hornet and higher education advocate. Communicate the importance of higher education and Emporia State University.
Give to Emporia State
Giving to Emporia State University provides sustainable resources for scholarships, academics, and athletics. There truly is no better investment than supporting the hopes and dreams of a student, and your gift has the ability to make a life-changing difference. There are many ways to make a gift to Emporia State University. Learn more over at our Foundation + Giving pages. All philanthropic gifts to Emporia State University are made through the Emporia State University Foundation, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization.. The Foundation invests, manages, and stewards funds in the best interest of donors and the University.