Corky's Cupboard Food Pantry
Corky's Cupboard provides temporary food assistance for students
Temporary food assistance in an effort to alleviate hunger
Center for Student Involvement, Memorial Union
12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday and Thursday
Corky's Cupboard will be hosting a pop up pantry two days each week, weather permitting. Meet us at the following locations to receive a free pre-packaged bag of food. ESU students must bring their student ID.
2-4 p.m. Tuesdays - Union Square
2-4 p.m. Wednesdays - East of Cremer
Mission of Corky's Cupboard
The mission of the Corky's Cupboard campus food pantry is to foster a healthy university community by providing temporary food assistance in an effort to alleviate hunger.
PANTRY LOCATION & OPERATION
Pre-packed bags of food are available at the Center for Student Involvement with a limit of one bag of food per week.
Resources for Eating Healthy on a Budget
The following resources are provided by the United States Department of Agriculture's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. For more information, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
- Meeting Your MyPlate Goals on a Budget.pdf
- Eating Better on a Budget.pdf
- Mini-Fridge Makeover.pdf
- Be Choosy in the Dining Hall.pdf
- Build a Healthy Meal.pdf
Stocking the Pantry + Donating to the Pantry
Campus food drives will be held throughout the year, as needed, to keep the pantry stocked. Associated Student Government will annually donate a portion of the goods raised from the fall Can the Bods competition to Corky's Cupboard. However, we will accept donations year-round. If you would like to donate items to the pantry, we kindly ask that you donate items that fall into our donation wish list categories listed below. Donations can be dropped off in the Center for Student Involvement. Individuals wishing to make monetary donations to the pantry may do so by following the steps below.
- Visit the Emporia State University Foundation giving website.
- Select the amount you would like to donate.
- In the "Designation:" drop down menu, select "Other".
- In the "Other" field, type Corky's Cupboard Food Pantry Fund.
- Click the "Add Gift" button, and then complete the rest of the form and click the "Give Now" button.
In spring 2014, the potential need to provide food assistance to Emporia State students was brought before the Student Affairs Council. The Center for Student Involvement (CSI) and Student Wellness volunteered to lead this initiative. Staff from these two departments, along with the Associated Student Government president and vice president, began meeting regularly to develop a plan. In April, on-campus students were invited to participate in a food security survey (796 invitations sent). While the response rate was low (5%, 40 responses), the results indicated that some students are food insecure, meaning they may not have the resources necessary for an adequate daily intake of food, or may not always know where their next meal may come from.
- 42% of respondents indicated that at some point in the current academic year while classes were in session, they skipped a meal because they did not have enough money to buy food
- 42% of respondents indicated that at some point in the past month, they skipped a meal because they did not have enough money to buy food
- 8 students indicated that they had skipped more than 5 meals during the past month
The team immediately began developing plans to open a campus food pantry, named Corky’s Cupboard, in fall 2014.
We are grateful to have a number of partners who are helping to make Corky's Cupboard a reality. Pantry Partners provide ongoing support for the pantry, including coordinating pantry operations, staffing the pantry, and hosting food drives to stock the pantry. Our Pantry Partners include:
Donation Wish List
Peanut butter, canned chicken/tuna, beans, canned chili, nuts
Fruits & Veggies
Canned fruits and vegetables, applesauce, tomato juice, raisins, dried fruit
Pasta, rice, cereal, noodles, oatmeal
Meals + Mixes
Baking mixes, soups, instant potatoes, mac and cheese, hamburger helper, spaghetti sauce
Flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, vegetable oil