Skip to main content

Student Health Services Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to your questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What does it cost to use Student Health Services?

We can accept most major insurance providers, as well as the student health plan, so please bring your health insurance card (or a copy of it) with you to your appointments. Office visits with a nurse practitioner or physician will be $70 for new patients and $50 for established patients per visit. Students who are taking classes on campus, and pay campus privilege fees, and have insurance will not have to pay more than $5 per office visit if their insurance does not cover the entire amount. Students who do not pay campus privilege fees (such as online students) will be responsible for paying any charges not covered by health insurance. There are also modest charges for pharmacy and laboratory services. Any balances due after insurance payments (such as the $5) will be billed to your student account.

If you have questions about the cost of a particular service or about insurance billing, go to our health insurance link or call 620-341-5222 for information.

Can anyone else see my records?

If the student is under 18-years-old, s/he must have a signed Health History and consent form from their parent or guardian on file in Health Services before they can be treated. If the student is over 18-years-old, no one can see their health records without written consent from the student or a court-ordered subpoena. Some exceptions are allowed by law including during emergencies and for public health matters

When is the Student Health Center open?

The Health Center is open from...

8:00 am - 5:00 pm -- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

8:00 am to 7:00 pm -- Thursdays during Fall and Spring semesters

8:00 am - 5:00 pm -- Monday through Friday during the summer

We are closed weekends, holidays and during winter break.

Appointments are preferred; Call 620-341-5222 to schedule an appointment. For students who become acutely ill during the day there is a walk in clinic from 2:00-4:00 pm.

What about birth control, STIs, HIV testing etc.?

We offer male and female sexual health checkups, education and prevention programs. Condoms are available at low cost; ask for them at the front desk.

Can my family members be treated?

At this time, we do not have a large enough facility or staff to treat family members. Family members may wish to use the Flint Hills Community Health Center which has a sliding fee scale. They are located at 420 West 15th Avenue, Emporia, KS, 620-342-4864.

Can I fill my prescriptions at the Health Center?

Pharmacy services are available with prescriptions from a Health Services provider. If you are on a regular medication (such as birth control), make an appointment and bring in either a current prescription or a current Pap report to begin utilizing ESU pharmacy services.

You may call in refill requests at 620-341-5867.

We have a small formulary of medications most commonly needed by college students and a small selection of over-the-counter items.

If you do not wish to purchase your medication at Student Health Services (want to use your prescription insurance) the nurse practitioner will electronically send your prescription to a retail pharmacy of your choice.

Local retail pharmacies are:

● Graves Drug Store, 609 Commercial

● Medicine Shoppe, 1400 West 12th Avenue

● Walgreen's, 1502 Industrial Road

● Walmart, 2300 Industrial Road.

● CVS Pharmacy, 1215 Merchant

If you need assistance locating a retail pharmacy, please let us know.

Are there any forms I'll need to fill out before my appointment?

Yes, there is a Health History Form that you will need to fill out and sign. it is available through our patient portal. Please arrive at least 10 minutes early for your first appointment to allow for completion of any necessary additional paperwork. If you are not yet 18 years of age by the time you arrive at ESU, you must have a parent or guardian complete and sign a consent form prior to treatment at Health Services.

Can I charge my medical/prescription bills to my parents or a credit card?

You are responsible for charges on the day you receive services. Our charges are very low and the office visit is discounted. If you have a financial emergency on the day you need medical services, please visit with office staff about payment arrangements. You may pay with cash, check or we can bill your charges to your student account.

What is the training/experience of the clinical staff?

We are very proud of our clinical staff! We have combined experience of nearly 150 clinical years! You can "meet" us on our Staff webpage.

Kendall Wright, MD is a Family Practitioner who recently retired from his private practice in Emporia after many years of serving the community. He provides medical supervision of and collaboration with our nurse practitioners and is in the clinic a few hours per month. His role at Health Services is primarily supervisory and consultative, but he does see patients here as well.

Laura Webb, APRN, joined our staff in July 2014 as a full time Advanced Practice Registered Nurse. Her background includes Women's Health, Public Health and Health Education/Promotion. She also serves in the Kansas Army National Guard with experience in Military Medical Care and Case Management. Laura is a graduate of Emporia State University School of Nursing and received her Master of Science (Family Nurse Practitioner) degree from Washburn University.

Our nursing staff consists of:

Mary McDaniel, RN-BC Director of Student Wellness for Health Services and Outreach Coordinator. Mary's role is primarily administrative, but also does the majority of clinical services outside of the clinic such as Flu shot clinics in the Union or Residence Halls, TB Testing, etc. Mary is Nationally Board Certified in College Health.

Mary Fry, RN is the only staff nurse available full-time, year-round. Mary has been at ESU for over 10 years and worked in Public Health and private practice prior to switching to College Health.

Linda Ulrey, RN, has been at ESU for over 10 years and has a strong background in Women's Health.

Deb Fields, LPN joined the ESU nursing staff in 2008. She also has a strong background in Women's Health and primarily assists the nurse practitioners with direct patient care. Deb also manages our our lab, and works with student immunization compliance.

All of our staff exceed the minimum number of hours of Continuing education required by law each year.

Is my information confidential?

Student Health records are kept strictly confidential. No medical information is ever released without written consent from the patient, except as allowed by law with court order/subpoena, emergencies or public health matters.

Parents may not access your health records, and we must have your consent before we can talk with them about your health concerns. Of course there are provisions in privacy laws for situations where you may be a danger to yourself or others. Under certain emergency situations, we may indeed contact parents and appropriate ESU officials.

Can I get a Pap smear, HIV check or STI check at Health Servicers?

Yes. Call for an appointment at 620-341-5222.

What type of shots/immunizations does Health Services provide?

Health Services routinely stocks and administers vaccine to prevent Tetanus, Meningococcal Meningitis, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B, HPV/Gardasil and Influenza. Other vaccines, such as those needed for travel, may be able to be ordered. For any questions or information about shots for special circumstances please call 620-341-5222.