Skip to main content
Proven tips to beat procrastination
Do you procrastinate?
1️⃣ Pick your poison
- The key to beating procrastination is FOCUS.
- Don’t give yourself too many things to do and become overwhelmed.
- Start by choosing just ONE thing that you’ve been procrastinating and make a commitment to complete that task in the next week.
📆 Start Today
- Once you’ve narrowed it down to one task, take immediate action.
- If it feels too daunting or you don’t think you have enough time to complete the task, do the Five-Minute Miracle.
⏰ Five Minute Miracle
- This is one of the best techniques for people who struggle with procrastination.
- Once you start something, you are much more likely to finish it.
- Unfinished tasks are more likely to get stuck in your memory. (This is also why our minds gets stuck in a loop thinking about all the things we haven’t yet completed).
- Remember: Small Action is still Action. Five minutes can make all the difference.
💥 Power Hour
- A Power Hour consists of putting away all distractions and working in concentrated chunks of time. (Start with twenty-minute intervals) followed by short periods of rest.
🎶 Have a Procrastination Power Song
- Pick a song that really gets you energized, and play it whenever you want to tackle something you’ve been procrastinating.
- The brain likes to have a trigger to create a new habit.
🚘 Get Under the Hood
- WHY have you been procrastinating a specific task?
- Are you afraid of something?
- Maybe you feel overwhelmed and don’t’ know where to start.
- Complete this sentence: “I’m avoiding this task because….” or try “I’m avoiding this task because I’m afraid that …..” and see what shows up.
✅ Let It Go
- Most people put way too much on their To Do list.
- What can you take off your list?
- Give yourself permission to let some things go.
💵 Make a Bet
- It can be very helpful to have an accountability buddy.
- One fun way to take this a step further is to have a bet with your buddy.
- Choose a day and time within the next week that you will complete this task and then tell your buddy:
- “I’ll buy you a coffee / watch an awful movie you’ve been wanting to see, make your lunch,” etc. if you haven’t completed the task by the said day/time.
🎉 Make it Fun
- Another way to motivate yourself to complete a task is to create a reward that you will give yourself once it’s been completed.
- What can you treat yourself to once you’ve finished this task?