Academics + Programs Bachelor of Arts in Languages, Literary Studies, and Writing
Level up your skills
Bachelor of Arts in Languages, Literary Studies and Writing
Pursuing this degree provides you with the flexibility to choose the pathway that professionalizes the skill set best suited to your goals and interests.
You can complete core requirements in either English Language Arts or Spanish Language Arts.
The English Language Arts core provides a solid foundation in literary analysis and writing.
The Spanish Language Arts core prepares you for the bilingual reality in which the US is the second largest Spanish Speaking country and is on target to be the largest Spanish speaking country by 2050.
You also will complete 18 hours in one of the following eight concentrations.
- English Language and Linguistics
- English Literature and Culture
- English Literary Arts and Publishing
- English Technical and Professional Writing
- English as a Second Language and TESOL Pedagogies
- Spanish Language, Linguistics and Culture
- US Latino/Latin American Literary Studies and Culture
- Multilingual Writing and Culture
What Can You Do With This Degree? Editing/Publishing
- Government service
- Professional and technical writing
- Health care bilingual professional
- Human resources bilingual professional
- Non-profit organization work
- International program director
- College professor (with advanced degree)
- Program information
Our program offers introductory level Spanish courses both in a blended format, face-to-face and online and fully online course offerings. We also have a Spanish as a Heritage Language course that meets the needs of our bilingual and Heritage speakers so as to develop their skills in the areas of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
It is possible to complete the Minor in Modern Languages concentration Spanish or the Second program of Study online, and most of our advanced level Spanish content area course offerings are offered online as well.
Our intermediate level courses are offered every semester both face-to-face and online.
Students who place into Spanish 313 Spanish Language and Culture III or Spanish 314 Spanish Heritage Language and Culture can enroll in one Spanish course per semester and complete the degree requirements for a Major in Modern Languages Spanish within eight semesters. See complete degree requirements.
You have support
At Emporia State University, we’re here to help you achieve your educational and career goals. All new ESU students are automatically members of the Stinger Success Program.