Emporia State University students who competed in the Phi Beta Lambda national competition returned with four first-place awards within a total of 15 Top 10 finishes. A total of 10 Emporia State students attended the event June 24 through 27 in Chicago, Illinois.
Also at the event, senior business administration student Abbygail Rowden was awarded the national Who’s Who in PBL.
“This year was exciting for our students,” said PBL advisor Leticia Rust. “With the events being in person after the long hiatus due to COVID, the students used the excitement and drive for competition to fuel their success.
“We were all excited to compete in person, travel, network and highlight our amazing, talented students,” she continued. “I am so proud of this group of students; they have endured so much in the last few years. It just shows the adaptability and the drive our students have to be their best.”
Phi Beta Lambda members can be from any concentration to participate, not just in business. It is the collegiate level of Future Business Leaders of America, where presentation, leadership and academic learning are all a part of PBL. Participants could interact with workshops, listen to keynote speakers, attend presentations by corporations, and witness recognition of outstanding individuals and chapters.
The organization announced a name change during the conference. In future, Phi Beta Lambda will be FBLA-Collegiate.
Each year, students must participate in new categories and they cannot have placed previously at nationals.
The students who competed and their placings are:
- Ashley Cookson: Microeconomics, fourth.
- Lexi Fankhauser: Project Management, 10th.
- Michaela Forkenbrock: Administrative Support Technology, eighth; Entrepreneurship Concepts, ninth; Retail Management, ninth.
- Brice Helton: Insurance Concepts, fifth.
- Mallory Kueser: Business Communication, first; Administrative Support Technology, second; Marketing Analysis & Decision Making, third.
- Linnea Mowry: Management Concepts, first; Information Management, ninth; Marketing Concepts, ninth.
- Abby Rowden: Marketing Analysis & Decision Making, first; Future Business Executive, third.
- Hailey Waltner: Management Analysis & Decision Making, first.
PHOTO INFORMATION: Students who competed at national Phi Beta Lambda conference are, from left, Brice Helton, Mallory Kueser, Michaela Forkenbrock, Abby Rowden, Christian Zorn, Ashley Cookson, Nathan Whitsitt, Lexi Fankhauser, Linnea Mowry and Hailey Waltner.