School of Library and Information Management (SLIM) Applying for Doctor of Philosophy
Step by Step instructions for applying for Doctor of Philosophy
To be considered for the program, an applicant must provide the following:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale
- A GRE score of at least 304 (total verbal reasoning and quantitative scores);
- Three current letters of recommendation that speak to an applicant’s qualifications for graduate study and research;
- A sample of written work that demonstrates an applicant’s scholarly writing ability;
- A 200-300 word statement outlining the applicant’s career goals and research interests; and
- When appropriate, a strong performance on the TOEFL, usually evidenced by a score of 650 or above.
In some cases, an applicant who does not meet the above criteria may be admitted on academic probation. Academic probation allows a student the opportunity to demonstrate his/her ability to succeed with doctoral level course work.
For more information about the degree, see the Doctor of Philosophy page.