International Education Intensive English Conversation Partners
Intensive English Conversation Partners
Are you interested in learning more about a different culture? Would you like to help an Intensive English Program (IEP) student feel more welcome? Are you an Intensive English student looking for English practice with a native English speaker? In the IEP Conversation Partners Program, there is someone waiting to talk to you!
IEP students frequently ask to meet Americans in order to learn about American culture and daily life and to practice English. American students, faculty, staff, and community members are often looking for a way to connect with international students. To address this need, the ESU Intensive English Program connects Americans and IEP students who want to use English to share culture. Partners are connected at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the Conversation Partner Program?
- The Conversation Partner Program is a language practice partner program at Emporia State University that has two goals: Allow international students to practice English in a fun, low-stress environment; and to encourage international students and conversation partners to engage in cross-cultural learning.
- Who can participate?
- IEP students and native/fluent English speakers can participate. Most conversation partners are American students, but faculty, staff, and members of the community are also encouraged to participate!
- What will we do?
- The purpose of this program is to allow you to speak with and learn about each other. Meetings should be informal and fun (grab a coffee or lunch, go shopping, or study together). Make the time you spend together fun and make it your own!
- How often should we meet?
- We ask that you meet at least one hour each week. Of course, if partners can meet more than one hour, that’s great!
- Can all international students participate?
- No, currently only Intensive English Program students are eligible to participate in this program.
- How do I sign up?
- 1) Students/Faculty/Staff: Please use your @emporia.edu email address. Community members: If you do not have an @emporia.edu email address, please use your primary email address. 2) Send an email to email@example.com Please include your... - Name - Gender - Major/Job title or Department - The best times for you to meet. Please include as many specific times as possible. (For example - Monday: 4-6:00; Saturday 5-8:00.) Most IEP Students have courses every day from 9:00am to 2:00pm and will not be able to meet during those times. Alternatively, you can use the Conversation Partner Form. Thank you for joining and spreading the word about this opportunity. Partners are usually paired during the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters. We make matches as soon as possible and notify partners via email with additional instructions. Please pass this opportunity on to your students, friends, classmates, or others who you believe would like to make lifelong friendships through the IEP Conversation Partner Program! Copy this text and e-mail it to potential partners.