Skip to main content

Restricted License Program

For Career Changers

Restricted Licensure

The Restricted License Program offers you a path to earn a middle or secondary teaching license in your bachelor's or master's degree field.

Admission requirements

  • You must have earned a bachelor’s degree with a major in your desired teaching subject, confirmed by receipt of all official college transcripts.
  • You must have a part-time to full-time contract with an accredited Kansas school district for either the content area of your bachelor’s degree OR equivalent coursework with no more than 9 credit hours of course deficiencies.
  • You must be admitted for graduate study by the Emporia State University Graduate School.
  • You must have obtained a 2.75 GPA or higher on your most recent 60 hours of college coursework.
  • You must have 40 hours or more of supervised experience working with youth in an educational setting, confirmed by receipt of a supervised experience form.
  • You must have received a passing score on the content area Praxis by August 1 for fall semester admission or December 1 for spring semester admission.


Check your eligibility

The Restricted License Program is not available if you have completed an approved teacher education program from another institution or already hold a teaching license in another state or country. For questions about licensing in these circumstances, please contact the Kansas State Department of Education at 785-296-2288 regarding how a Kansas license may be achieved with your earned degree and institution verification.

Save yourself time and see if you are eligible for a restricted license! Contact

Programs we offer

  • Business
  • Music
  • PE/Health
  • Art
  • English
  • Earth/Space Science
  • Math
  • Biology
  • Social Science
  • Speech/Theatre
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Middle School Science
  • Spanish

Emporia State students in computer lab listening to professor teaching

Why ESU?

As the institution best known for its teacher preparation programs, Emporia State University is a great choice to help you change careers. Throughout the program, you’ll have the support of your ESU faculty mentor and an in-school mentor teacher, so you get valuable teaching experience and guidance as you start your career in the classroom.

Meet a few recent students and find out what they were doing before and after.

Take action


Apply to the Emporia State University Graduate School.

Request more info

Request more information about the Emporia State University Graduate School.


Look through ESU's scholarship library to see what may be available to help you get into the classroom.

Student working out formula on chalkboard

Follow us on social



how to contact us


fas fa-envelope-open

fas fa-phone-alt 620-341-5028

Mailing Address

Office of Field Placement & Licensure
Emporia State University
1 Kellogg Circle
Campus Box 4036
Emporia, KS 66801

Physical Address

Office of Field Placement & Licensure
1701 Morse Road
Visser Hall, 2nd Floor
Main Office, Rm 208