Health, Physical Education, & Recreation
Program Course Sequence
Major Agreement Form
SLR Major Curriculum Guide
SLR Minor Curriculum Guide
For more information, please contact:
Sport Leadership & Recreation Program
Bachelor of Science in Sport Leadership & Recreation
The Bachelor of Science in Sport Leadership & Recreation (SLR) offered by Emporia State University is designed to prepare students for leadership roles in sport and recreation industries. The SLR program has courses focused on sport management, event and program design, revenue management, business law, marketing, and sport psychology. With unique practicum and internship experiences, SLR graduates are uniquely qualified for a wide range of careers in the profession.
Students completing the SLR program will be able to:
- use diverse community, institutional, natural, cultural, and human services to promote and enhance sport and recreation experiences
- produce, interpret and synthesize written information/data, oral communication, multimedia presentations to effectively communicate with various professional constituents and groups
- plan, organize, and assess a variety of sport and recreation programming and special events in diverse settings and/or for diverse populations
- use sound managerial, marketing, and financial processes in the administration and management of sport and recreation services
- understand and use legal concepts and legislative processes, as these apply to sport and recreation industries, including implementation of risk management plans
- impart and promote the benefits of sport and recreational pursuits to various constituents and groups based on a sound understanding of concepts, principles and theories of the professions
- demonstrates professional growth, professional judgment and ethical behavior in professional settings
- Prospective SLR majors must meet all university requirements and be admitted to Emporia State University.
- Prospective SLR majors must complete an application for admission to the SLR Program after they have completed the first 11 hours of the SLR core classes with a C or better (Sports Leadership and Recreation Application).
- This application must be accompanied by Major's Agreement Form, which must be signed and dated.
- Prospective SLR majors must have an overall GPA of 2.5 and a 2.75 GPA in the first nine SLR core hours.
- Prospective SLR majors must complete the Application Form.
If a student does not meet the above criteria, the student may petition to be placed on probation for one semester and may re-apply at the end of that semester to be removed from probation.
If a student does not meet the above criteria by the end of the probationary semester, the student will not be admitted to the SLR Program.
Any student who has committed a felony will not be admitted to the SLR Program.
Application for admission into the Sport Leadership & Recreation Program must be received by October 1 for Spring acceptance and March 1 for Fall acceptance.
Once a student is admitted to the Sport Leadership & Recreation Program, s/he must complete the following requirements in order to complete the SLR Program and graduate from Emporia State University with a BS degree in Sports Leadership & Recreation:
- The student must complete 124 credit hours with a minimum of 45 credit hours at the 300 level or higher.
- The student must maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 and a GPA of 2.75 in all SLR Program core classes.
- The student must pass three major program assessments at the acceptable level. These assessments include:
- Practicum I Supervisor’s Evaluation
- Portfolio Evaluation
- Intern Supervisor’s Evaluation
- The student must complete each of the courses in the SLR Program with a C or better and have a 2.75 GPA in all SLR classes to complete the program and to be eligible to enroll in SL 570 and SL 510.