Skip to main content

Office of International Education Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to your questions

What happens when I get to the airport?

There will be someone from Emporia State University to greet you at the airport if you arrive on the designated day. Our representatives will be waiting to assist you with your baggage and guide you to the shuttle. If you arrive outside of those dates, there will not be anyone at the airport to greet you and you will need to arrange your own transportation to Emporia. We recommend the following transportation company: Agenda: USA, Inc. 5290 Foxridge Drive Mission, KS 66202; Phone: 1-913-268-4466; FAX: 1-913-268-4477; Email:; Website:

What happens when I get to Emporia?

On-Campus: Students living on campus will be assisted by International Ambassadors with their baggage and checking into residence hall dorms. Off-Campus: Students living off campus are responsible for finding their own transportation to where they are living. If you are living off-campus you will need to come into the dorms to check in and International Ambassadors will be available to help call a taxi.

Is temporary housing available?

Students who arrive prior to the designated day will need to book a hotel to stay in until they find an apartment or until the dormitories open.

When will I be able to go buy supplies/go shopping?

During International Student Orientation, there will be a trip to the local Wal-Mart. There you will be able to buy most things you need. We will only be there for 1-2 hours, so make sure to have a list of what you need to buy. If you are using an international credit card to make your purchases, make sure to bring your passport with you to Wal-Mart. Also, check with your credit card provider to make sure your credit card can be used in the U.S.A. Bedding sets (which include pillow, pillow case, bed sheet, comforter, towel, and wash cloth) will be available upon arrival at ESU for those who want it. Helpful Hint ~ When packing, save space by leaving large items like blankets, laundry soap, dishes, hair products, etc., at home. These items are easier to purchase after arrival rather than to bring them with you.

When will my roommate arrive?

Some students may not arrive until just before classes start.

When will I be able to have internet and phone access?

Internet access will be available upon arrival. You can get internet access through a temporary guest password until meeting with the IT department. Residence hall staff will be able to assist you in setting up your internet.

Health Insurance

Per Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) policy, “each state university shall require any international student holding an F-1 visa and any exchange visitor holding a J-1 visa to show proof of health insurance coverage for each semester or term for which the student is enrolled, whether or not the student is participating in the Board’s voluntary student health insurance program. Such proof of insurance shall be required prior to the student beginning classes.” Effective August 2014, all international students will be automatically enrolled in the KBOR Student Health Insurance Annual Plan. If you wish to waive out of this coverage, you must complete and return the waiver form along with proof of adequate health insurance coverage from another health plan that meets the KBOR’s requirements and is approved by the Office of International Education. A new waiver request must be submitted for each semester, including summer, for which the student is enrolled. We recommend that your health insurance coverage begins immediately upon arrival in the U.S. to cover any immunizations necessary. This policy will cover the tuberculosis (TB) blood test and Meningitis (meningococcal) vaccination for new international students. Students will not be able to enroll or pay tuition at ESU until showing proof of active and adequate health insurance. Health insurance coverage requirements: According to the U.S. new Affordable Healthcare Act, your insurance plan must meet the following required benefits and coverage. 1. Unlimited Maximum Benefit for Covered medical expenses. 2. Coverage for essential benefits as defined under Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act – including pharmacy, mental health, maternity, preventive care, contraception – with no dollar limits. 3. Pediatric dental and vision coverage as defined by ACA. 4. A policy year deductible of $500 or less. Maximum total out of pocket expense cannot exceed $6,350 per member, $12,700 per family with preferred providers. Deductible, coinsurance, and any copays count toward out-of-pocket maximum. 5. A minimum of $10,000 for repatriation and $15,000 for medical evacuation. 6. A minimum of 80% coinsurance payable by the insurance plan to network providers. Emergency/urgent care coverage only is not accepted for waiver 7. Verifiable proof of coverage with student’s name (ID card, insurance policy or letter from insurance carrier – copy provided) 8. Effective dates covering the entire period for which I am requesting a waiver 9. Plan document(s) in English, with currency amounts converted to U.S. dollars, and an insurance company contact phone # in the U.S. 10. Insurer has a base of operations in the US or has a US based claims payer. Please make sure that your insurance benefit statement is printed in English and coverage listed in U.S dollars. Your insurance must meet the above requirements. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in delays in your enrollment process.

What payment methods are accepted?

The University accepts: Cash Checks: from American banks only Traveler’s Checks: from an American bank with amounts in U.S. dollars. Credit Cards (Online Only): Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express credit cards are accepted at ESU. Please ensure that your credit card has been activated prior to leaving for the United States. Additionally, some credit cards have daily limits. Please ensure that your daily limit is large enough to cover your tuition, fees, and/or housing. Wire Transfer: The University will allow you to send tuition/fees and living expenses by wire transfer. Please contact the Office of International Education via e-mail ( for specific instructions on how to make wire transfers.

Where do I go to pay for tuition?

Account payments may be made at Cashiering Services located on the first floor of Plumb Hall. You will not be able to pay until you have enrolled AFTER your advising appointments during the orientation week.

When does my tuition have to be paid?

Your student account balance, including tuition, fees, and housing, can be paid as soon as you have met your academic advisor and enrolled in classes. Student accounts that have not been paid in full by 5pm on the first day of class may incur a late fee.

When does the International Student Orientation fee need to be paid?

Orientation fees are mandatory and will be automatically added to your student account and paid with tuition.