Skip to main content

MS - HPEC frequently asked questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Master's in Health, Physical Education, & Coaching

Note: This program was previously called the master's in health, physical education, and recreation and appears as such in the 2022-23 ESU Catalog; there may be some course titles in the catalog that do not match with information on this web site. Please contact the graduate advisor, Dr. Joan Brewer,, with any questions you may have.


Must I have a teaching certificate to apply?

A teaching certificate is not required.

Can I get a teaching certificate/license by completing this program?

This master's degree does not lead to teacher certification or licensure in physical education.

Are GRE tests or other entrance tests required?

No entrance tests are required.

How long will it take me to complete my master's degree?

The average student takes about two years to complete, as the student is usually working a full-time job while attending school. Some people finish in one year, while others take several years to complete the program. The program must be completed within seven years.

Can I transfer graduate classes from another university?

Up to nine credits of graduate level work completed at a grade of "B" or better may be transferred to the HPEC Masters degree. These courses must be graduate level classes, not professional development courses and taken within the last three years.

Can graduate students apply for financial aid?

Graduate students are welcome to apply for financial aid. Emporia State's financial aid office can be contacted at: Office of Financial Aid, Scholarships, & Veterans Services Box 4038 1 Kellogg Circle Emporia, KS 66801-5415 Phone: 620-341-5453 Fax: 620-772-9205 Toll-Free: 800-896-0567

Are the university and this program accredited?

This program is fully accredited through the Higher Learning Commission.

How much does the program cost?

Students enroll in courses under the current distance learning rates.

Are there deadlines for applications to this graduate program?

Admission into the Department of HPER’s graduate program is on a rolling basis. This means when a student's application file is complete, the HPER graduate committee considers that student at that point. This also means when the program reaches capacity, admission to the program closes.

What is needed to apply to this graduate program?

The student must submit official transcripts from all higher education institutions attended. In addition, the student must submit a personal resume/vita. The student must have at least a 2.5 overall undergraduate GPA and at least a 2.75 GPA in the last 60 hours of academic work.

Can I use any type of computer to complete this graduate program?

Students are strongly encouraged to use their own computer (Mac or Windows) for their class work. Some computers, notably certain Chromebooks and most school or school district computers, are unable to perform some of the functions necessary for some required classes.

Can a person take just one class and not have to be admitted to the graduate program?

As this graduate program is popular and often reaches capacity, rarely are non-matriculating students allowed to enroll in the graduate classes. An inquiry may be sent to the graduate advisor to ask for clarification and/or status of possible enrollment. Non-matriculating students will not be allowed to enroll in any class until at least one week past the starting date of the semester’s enrollment period.