Dual Degree Program: MBA & MSIT
Dual Degree in Information Technology and Business Administration
The on-campus dual degree in MSIT/MBA program is designed for professionals without technology backgrounds while also further developing the skills and qualifications of those with business and technical experience. This program allows students to earn both Master’s degrees in 3 years with 51 credits (versus 66 if taken separately). The program has 27 credit of IT training, 21 hours of business leadership training, and three credits of electives. The dual degree program is a STEM program and organized in such a manner so that students will be exposed to all areas of information technology, enhancing any career field, even for those without IT backgrounds. The dual degree in MSIT/MBA at Emporia State University is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), a distinction held by less than 5% of business schools worldwide. Our students enjoy the benefits of small classes and a close relationship with ESU faculty, including personal instruction and one-on-one mentoring. Several of our courses are taught by field practitioners, allowing students to learn current techniques by experts in the field.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THIS DEGREE?
Upon finishing this degree, a student will have several career path options to pursue, such as IT Specialist, Software Developer, Network Architect, Security Analyst, Project Lead, Manager, Analyst and many more. This degree is built to prepare graduates for any IT or business career.
Core courses – 48 hours
- IS 813: IT Project Management
- IS 823: Systems Analysis and Design
- IS 824: Database Management
- IS 825: Cloud Computing and Management
- IS 826: Application Programming
- IS 828: Enterprise Architecture
- IS 843: Electronic Commerce
- IS 873: Information Systems for Managerial Decisions
- IS 853: Business Analytics
- BC 807: Managerial Economics
- BU 820: Quantitative Analysis of Business Decisions
- AC 843: Accounting Information for Management
- FI 850: Advanced Financial Management
- MG 853: Behavioral Aspect of Management
- MK 864: Marketing Management
- MG 899: Strategic Management
Electives – 3 credits
- Have a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.5 or higher, OR
- have a master’s degree, OR
- have a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 2.65 and at least 3 years of organizational leadership experience, OR
- have a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 2.65 and meet the formula of 200 X undergraduate GPA + GMAT score > 1050.
- All degrees must be from a regionally accredited (or equivalent) institution.
- All references to GPA refer to a 4.0 scale. All other systems must be converted to a 4.0 scale. All references to GPA refer to the better of either the cumulative GPA or the GPA in the most recent 60 credit hours of a complete or incomplete degree.
- In order to qualify for admission based on work experience, a resume must be submitted and the criteria verified by the School of Business.
- If an applicant has taken the GRE, we will convert the GRE score to the equivalent GMAT score.
*For Fall 2020 semester all GMAT requirements are waived due to COVID-19. For applicants with 3.0 cumulative or last 60 hour GPA admittance will be automatic if prerequisites are met. For all applicants under a 3.0 a departmental review will be made and all available information on an applicant will be used to make a holistic decision on admission.
ACADEMIC FOUNDATION COURSES
Student are expected to have taken the following courses before entering the program. Any of these course that the student has not taken will be added to the beginning of the program:
- College Algebra or equivalent course(s)
- Applied Statistics
- Introductory Financial and Managerial Accounting
- Micro and Macro Economics
- Introductory Finance
- Object-Oriented programming or relevant IT work experience