Dual Degree Program: MBA & MSIT
Dual Degree in Information Technology and Business Administration
The on-campus dual degree in MSIT/MBA program is designed for professionals without technology backgrounds while also further developing the skills and qualifications of those with business and technical experience. This program allows students to earn both Master’s degrees in 3 years with 51 credits (versus 66 if taken separately). The program has 27 credit of IT training, 21 hours of business leadership training, and three credits of electives. The dual degree program is a STEM program and organized in such a manner so that students will be exposed to all areas of information technology, enhancing any career field, even for those without IT backgrounds. The dual degree in MSIT/MBA at Emporia State University is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), a distinction held by less than 5% of business schools worldwide. Our students enjoy the benefits of small classes and a close relationship with ESU faculty, including personal instruction and one-on-one mentoring. Several of our courses are taught by field practitioners, allowing students to learn current techniques by experts in the field.
Need an online option? Learn about our online accelerated MSIT/MBA program.
WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THIS DEGREE?
Upon finishing this degree, a student will have several career path options to pursue, such as IT Specialist, Software Developer, Network Architect, Security Analyst, Project Lead, Manager, Analyst and many more. This degree is built to prepare graduates for any IT or business career.
Core courses – 48 hours
- IS 813: IT Project Management
- IS 823: Systems Analysis and Design
- IS 824: Database Management
- IS 825: Cloud Computing and Management
- IS 826: Application Programming
- IS 828: Enterprise Architecture
- IS 843: Electronic Commerce
- IS 873: Information Systems for Managerial Decisions
- IS 853: Business Analytics
- BC 807: Managerial Economics
- BU 820: Quantitative Analysis of Business Decisions
- AC 843: Accounting Information for Management
- FI 850: Advanced Financial Management
- MG 853: Behavioral Aspect of Management
- MK 864: Marketing Management
- MG 899: Strategic Management
Electives – 3 credits
Students must meet One of the following four requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0* or higher from a regionally-accredited (or equivalent) institution.
- A master’s degree in any field with a GPA of 3.0* or higher.
- A bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 2.65* or higher and at least three years of leadership experience in the technology field.
- For applicants with a GPA between 2.65 and 3.0*, you may submit additional materials so we can conduct a holistic review of your application. A student who is deemed not ready for the program may be denied admission. These materials may include evidence of a high-ranking institution, rigorous program, success in quantitative courses, strong standardized test scores (GMAT, GRE, etc.), etc.
* in the last 60 semester hours of study or cumulative (4.0 system)
ACADEMIC FOUNDATION COURSES
Student are expected to have taken the following courses before entering the program. Any of these course that the student has not taken will be added to the beginning of the program:
- College Algebra or equivalent course(s)
- Applied Statistics
- Introductory Financial and Managerial Accounting
- Micro and Macro Economics
- Introductory Finance
- Object-Oriented programming or relevant IT work experience