Fall 2021 + COVID
Message from Future Planning Group
Aug. 6, 2021
Dear Hornet Nation,
As the first day of the fall 2021 semester nears, we want to share campus plans to deal with COVID. We have paid special attention to the most recent developments and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment about the increase in cases from the Delta variant.
We recognize that we have tools now that we didn’t have a year ago, namely widespread availability of the COVID vaccine. This, combined with renewed use of facemasks, is our way forward.
- Effective Monday, August 9, 2021, masks are required in all classrooms, laboratories and Student Wellness Center.
- Alternative safety measures may be necessary and will be available in certain atypical classroom situations (for instance, music performance spaces).
- Masks are recommended inside all ESU buildings, including residence halls. We suggest that everyone have a mask with you in case you interact with others inside buildings.
- Facemask use applies to everyone — all students, faculty, staff and visitors — regardless of vaccination status.
- We urge all students, faculty and staff who are medically able to be fully vaccinated against COVID before returning to campus for the fall.
- More than 99% of the deaths occurring now from COVID are among those who have not been vaccinated.
- The ESU #VaxToNormal campaign offers vaccinated students the chance to win prizes.
- Similar incentives are available for faculty and staff through the Emporia community’s #VaxToNormal campaign.
- Students living in residence halls received separate communication about providing proof of vaccination. As stated, those not providing proof of vaccination must participate in COVID-19 entry testing before moving in.
- No students residing off campus, employees, visitors or vendors will be asked or required to provide proof of vaccination at this time, unless they are otherwise required to do so under federal, state or local ordinances.
MISSING CLASS OR WORK FOR ILLNESS
- Our guiding principle for illness is this: If you are sick or feel sick, you should not go to class or come to work. Stay home and take care of yourself. This applies to all illnesses including COVID.
- Students who are sick and need to miss class should contact the Office of Student Affairs, VPSA@emporia.edu. Staff will advise how to work with instructors.
- Employees who are sick should follow their department’s call-in procedures and work with their supervisors to ensure their duties are covered.
- Accommodations that fall under the Americans With Disabilities Act are handled by Student Accessibility and Support Services for students or Human Resources for faculty, staff, and student employees.
ESU BUSINESS TRAVEL
- Any faculty, staff or students traveling on business for Emporia State will follow guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Kansas Department of Health and Environment. This includes policies about:
- Wearing masks on public transportation
- Quarantines before and after travel
- States or countries that are prohibited for travel
- Faculty, staff and students are expected to be informed and prepared to comply with any state and local requirements in the locations to which they are travelling.
Emporia State University is committed to providing our students what they tell us is most important to them — a quality education offered through face-to-face classes along with a return to in-person campus activities. We will accomplish these goals by continuing what Hornet Nation does best: Working together for the common good of all on campus.
Future Planning Group
Mary McDaniel Anschutz