COVID Protocols for Fall 2022
Message from ESU Leadership Team
August 10, 2022
Dear ESU Campus Community,
As the fall semester commences, we want to bring everyone onto the same page about our campus procedures surrounding COVID. We continue to monitor the COVID situation locally, regionally and nationally.
As a campus community that holds up respect as a core value, we must remain respectful of health care needs and choices that differ from our own. We encourage everyone to continue to observe best practices that are suitable for their own health status and family safety. These include monitoring symptoms, testing, isolation and quarantine when indicated, high quality masking for your personal protection when appropriate and hand hygiene.
Currently at Emporia State:
Masks remain optional in most spaces.
- Health Facilities. Masks are required in the ESU Student Wellness Center.
- Classrooms, Offices + Shared Spaces. Except for the specific exemption above, no one can require masks in classrooms, offices, shared study or other spaces.
- Personal risk reduction. Studies continue to show that N95 masks, or KN95 masks, that are well-fitted remain the best personal protection. If desired, KN95 and surgical masks are available in Room 211 of Stormont Maintenance Center while supplies last.
Students who live in residence halls, fraternities and sororities:
- These living situations are considered “congregate housing” and fall under guidelines from Lyon County Public Health.
- Anyone in these living situations who test positive for COVID or are considered a close contact will receive specific information from Residence Life or Fraternity and Sorority Life about isolation and quarantine, including moving to a new room, how to access food from their meal plans and returning from isolation and quarantine.
Entire campus community:
- Isolation + Quarantine. Follow the Isolation + Quarantine guidelines from Lyon County Public Health: https://www.coronavirus.kdheks.gov/224/What-to-do-if-you-think-youre-sick.
- Vaccines continue to provide the strongest protection against becoming sick with COVID that is severe and requires hospitalization. The ESU Student Wellness Center provides vaccines to our campus community on Thursdays between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.: https://www.emporia.edu/covid-19-information/
- Monitor your health. Stay home if you are sick.
- Testing. The ESU Student Wellness Center continues to offer free COVID testing for students, faculty and staff: https://www.emporia.edu/student-life/health-wellness/student-health-services/
- Campus COVID information: https://www.emporia.edu/covid-19-information/
- Faculty and staff — Contact the Office of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Students — Contact the Office of Enrollment Management and Student Services (email@example.com)
As always, thank you for your support as we embark on our fall 2022 semester.
ESU Leadership Team