Skip to main content

COVID-19 Resources

Helpful resources

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What are the current mask requirements for ALL members of the Hornet Nation?

A. Masks are required in all Emporia State buildings. Like last year, employees and students may remove their masks when alone in your own self-contained office (not cubicle) or residence hall rooms (with roommates, but not outsiders).

Are masks required outside?

No. But they are recommended in crowded outdoor situations.

Is social distancing required while in class and other places?

No. Social distancing is not required but faculty, staff and students should use good judgment.

Given that we are not social distancing, what can I do to keep students safe in class?

It may be helpful for faculty to assign seats to assist in contact tracing. Encourage students to get vaccinated and enforce the mask mandate. Students should not eat or drink while in class.

What is my responsibility as a teaching faculty member if a student in my class tests positive for COVID-19?

Faculty do not need to make any reports and should handle this situation as they would any other student illness, keeping in mind the student’s right to privacy. Students should report any illness or need to quarantine/isolate to the Vice President of Student Affairs Office at The VPSA will contact the student’s faculty members to let them know the student will be absent from class. Reporting of the positive cases and any contact tracing will be handled by the local health department and the ESU Student Wellness Center.

What is my responsibility as a staff member if a student group member tests positive for COVID-19?

Report the situation to your supervisor who should then contact Mary McDaniel Anschutz in the Student Wellness Center to determine next steps.

What do I do if a student or other person refuses to wear a mask indoors?

Ask the individual to put on a mask. If the individual refuses, they may be asked to leave the indoor location.

What happens if I am exposed to someone who tests positive for COVID-19?

You should contact the Student Wellness Center, the local health department or your local medical provider. Based on current recommendations, vaccinated people who are exposed do NOT need to quarantine unless they are exhibiting symptoms. However, it may be recommended that they get a COVID-19 test. Unvaccinated individuals are required to quarantine while they wait for test results and follow other directions from public health or medical providers.

What guidelines should students who are in student teaching, internships and other field-based experiences follow?

They should adhere to guidelines consistent with those of organizations to which they are assigned. (This would apply to those faculty who are supervising students in these locations as well.)

If I need more information, who do I contact?
What should a faculty or staff member do if they test positive for COVID-19 and/or need to quarantine?

They should report the illness and quarantine as they would for any other illness, and record appropriate leave on their timesheet. Faculty should work with their department chairs and respective dean to discuss options for covering courses as needed. Substitutes should be found to cover the course(s). Courses cannot be moved from in-person to remote instruction.

Staff should work with their supervisor to determine if remote work is possible; any remote work would need to be approved by the respective dean and/or Vice President.

How should students, faculty and staff request accommodations should they be deemed necessary by a medical professional?

Students should request accommodations through Student Accessibility and Support Services (SASS). Faculty should request accommodations through Human Resources.

Do faculty have to use Canvas?

Yes. The expectation is that faculty will have a Canvas presence for all courses. There is also an expectation that faculty will use a course template or shell. ESU’s Quality Assurance Template is available on Canvas Commons.

What if a student shows up to class or meetings ill?

Discreetly speak to the student and encourage them to call the Student Wellness Center at 620-341-5222, as well as the Vice President of Student Affairs at Faculty are encouraged to remind their students to self-assess prior to coming to class.

What if an employee (faculty, staff, student worker) shows up to work ill?

The supervisor should discreetly speak to the employee. The supervisor may send the employee home after consultation with their leadership and human resources.

What about the atypical classroom or event (where wearing masks is impossible or negatively impacts the ability of students to accomplish specific learning outcomes like music performance?

The individual faculty member or person in charge of the event should work directly with their department chair and respective dean or supervisor to determine best options for these situations. It is required that the chair or dean collaborate with the Director of Student Wellness Center in these scenarios. Alternative safety measures should then be submitted to the Provost’s Office for final approval.

Who is a close contact and what should they do?

You are a "close contact" if any of the following situations happened while you spent time with a person with COVID-19, even if they didn't have symptoms:

Were within 6 feet of the person for 10 consecutive minutes or more

Had contact with the person's respiratory secretions (for example, coughed or sneezed on; kissed; contact with a used tissue; shared a drinking glass, food, towels, or other personal items)

Live with the person or stayed overnight for at least one night in a house with the person.

The chance of spreading the virus is greater the longer an infected person or persons are close to someone. It also matters if the infected person is coughing, sneezing, singing, shouting or doing anything else that produces more respiratory droplets that contain virus or if there are exposures to more than one infected person. Under these higher risk situations, you may want to consider a close contact someone who has been within 6 feet of an infectious person or persons for 10 cumulative minutes or more in a 24-hour period. The final decision on what constitutes close contact is made at the discretion of public health.

Close Contact Quarantine:

Unvaccinated individuals who meet the criteria of being a close contact must quarantine for 14 days. Lyon County currently has a full 14-day quarantine without an early release option. Fully vaccinated individuals may remain out of quarantine so long as they remain asymptomatic.

Unvaccinated Close Contact: KDHE recommends that unvaccinated individuals named a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 should get tested 3-5 days after exposure and re-tested 7-10 days after exposure. A negative test result does not end quarantine early.

Vaccinated Close Contact: KDHE recommends that vaccinated individuals named a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 should get tested 3-5 days after exposure and re-tested 7-10 days after exposure. However, those who are vaccinated do not have to quarantine.

Regardless of vaccination status, if you are a close contact to a positive or suspected case, ALL symptoms no matter how mild should be investigated. It is very common to have very mild congestion or allergy-like symptoms, especially in vaccinated populations.