Skip to main content

Online + Distance Education Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to your questions



Canvas is an e-Education platform designed to enable educational innovations everywhere by connecting people and technology. To login, go to Canvas.


DegreeWorks is a software that allows students to track academic goals, estimate graduation dates, and improve the overall experience of charting a personalized academic course plan. DegreeWorks is your personalized insight into planning your academic future! To learn more, click here. An informational video can also be found on the Distance Education main page and Graduate School main page.

Courses Offered

In addition to offering Internet courses, Distance Education offers ITV and face-to-face courses at several locations throughout the state of Kansas. Some of our programs have homes at Emporia State University-Kansas City in Overland Park, Johnson County Community College and Butler Community College in El Dorado and Andover. We also offer credit for workshops, conferences, and special elective credit classes. Visit our Online Course Schedule for a complete listing of classes available to you.

Distance Programs

ESU’s innovative distance learning programs embody the latest technology to customize the educational experience for place/time bound adults faced with the challenges of juggling work, family and school responsibilities. Click on Bachelor's Degree Programs and Master's Degree Programs.

Enrollment Verification

You may request an official enrollment verification from Academic Records.  Visit Verifications for details.

ESU E-mail Accounts

Emporia State University students enrolled in Distance Education distance courses are REQUIRED to maintain an e-mail account through Emporia State University. Visit About Your ESU E-mail Account for login instructions, password information, how to forward your e-mail to another account, details on using e-mail clients, and a link to the ESU E-mail Policy.

Full-Time Status

Fall/Spring: Undergraduate students must be enrolled in 12 or more credit hours to be full time; Graduate students must be enrolled in 9 or more credit hours to be full time. Summer: Both Undergraduate and Graduate students must be enrolled in 9 or more credit hours to be full time. Full-time status for financial aid purposes is calculated differently. See Financial Aid Enrollment Status for details.

Responsibilities of Distance Students

Visit Post Enrollment Information for a list of your responsibilities. Among others, links include textbook ordering, instructions for Internet courses, and aids for finding your schedule and dropping courses. WE RECOMMEND THAT STUDENTS VISIT THIS SITE EVERY SEMESTER FOR UPDATED INFORMATION.

Student ID Numbers

Student ID numbers have been assigned to all ESU students to replace the use of social security numbers for conducting university business including registering for classes and requesting transcripts.  To look-up your Student ID, use our ID Look Up Form (  You will need your username and SSN.  If you did not provide a SSN at time of application, contact the Help Desk at 1-877-341-5555 to learn your ID.  NOTE: Students who applied before March of 2007 will have an ID starting with several zeros. You may continue using that number or begin using your new Student ID that starts with an E.

Hornet Cards for Distance Students

Distance students will first need to complete an Identity Verification Form through either the Graduate School (for distance graduate students) or Distance Education Office (for distance undergraduate students). Then contact Memorial Union ID Office at to provide a digital photo and other required student information and pre-pay the $25 card printing fee (plus postage if necessary. Once payment has been received, the Hornet Card will be mailed to the address on file in the university's student information system. If students wish for their card to be mailed to a different address, they will need to change their official address with the Registration Office.

ID Verification

All graduate students in distance programs (either off-campus or online) must complete an ID Verification Statement.

Undergraduate ID Verification Form

Graduate ID Verification Form


Textbooks can be reserved or ordered through the Memorial Union Bookstore web site or by phone.   Visit Textbook Information for details.

University Admission

Students do not need to be admitted to ESU to take a course offered through Distance Education. However, students who plan to seek admission are encouraged to apply no later than the second semester of enrollment. Please note that some courses are limited to students who have been admitted. For more information, visit Undergraduate Admission or Graduate Admission.

Weather & Class Cancellations

Please check the weather located on the home page OR call Distance Education at 1(877)332-4249. Courses are cancelled when site facilities are closed or at the instructor's request.