BS - Sport Leadership & Recreation (Online)
Sport Leadership & Recreation (Online)
Choose which program suits you:
- the online SLR program (information below), or
- the SLR program offered on campus.
The Bachelor of Science in Sport Leadership & Recreation (SLR) offered by Emporia State University is designed to prepare students for leadership roles in sport and recreation industries. The SLR program has courses focused on sport management, event and program design, revenue management, business law, marketing, and sport psychology.
What can you do with this degree?
With unique practicum and internship experiences, SLR graduates are uniquely qualified for a wide range of careers in the profession, including:
- sport program management;
- state and federal agencies;
- sport, athletic, and fitness facilities;
- institutions serving special populations;
- college sport and recreational services;
- youth-serving agencies and commercial, outdoor, military, and industrial agencies.
The program also prepares students for post- baccalaureate work in sport leadership, or even more tightly focused programs such as sport management or sport administration.
- Prospective SLR majors must meet all university requirements and be admitted to Emporia State University.
- Prospective SLR majors must complete an application for admission to the SLR Program after they have completed the first 11 hours of the SLR core classes with a C or better (Sports Leadership and Recreation Application).
- This application must be accompanied by Major's Agreement Form, which must be signed and dated.
- Prospective SLR majors must have an overall GPA of 2.5 and a 2.75 GPA in the first nine SLR core hours.
- Prospective SLR majors must complete the Application Form.
If a student does not meet the above criteria, the student may petition to be placed on probation for one semester and may re-apply at the end of that semester to be removed from probation.
If a student does not meet the above criteria by the end of the probationary semester, the student will not be admitted to the SLR Program.
Any student who has committed a felony will not be admitted to the SLR Program.
Application for admission into the Sport Leadership & Recreation Program must be received by October 1 for Spring acceptance and March 1 for Fall acceptance.
For complete degree requirements, follow this link.
Once a student is admitted to the Sport Leadership & Recreation Program, s/he must complete the following requirements in order to complete the SLR Program and graduate from Emporia State University with a BS degree in Sports Leadership & Recreation:
- The student must complete 124 credit hours with a minimum of 45 credit hours at the 300 level or higher.
- The student must maintain an overall GPA of 2.5 and a GPA of 2.75 in all SLR Program core classes.
- The student must pass three major program assessments at the acceptable level. These assessments include:
- Practicum I Supervisor’s Evaluation
- Portfolio Evaluation
- Intern Supervisor’s Evaluation
- The student must complete each of the courses in the SLR Program with a C or better and have a 2.75 GPA in all SLR classes to complete the program and to be eligible to enroll in SL 570 and SL 510.
Mailing Address + Phone
Department of Health, Physical Education, & Recreation
(on the ESU main campus)
1720 Morse Road
HPER Building, Main Floor
Main Office, Rm 219