Art Therapy in Practice
Field Experience / Internship
Before joining our program
Prior to beginning art therapy internship, students must have completed any outstanding prerequisites as well as the first fall semester core coursework.
While studying in our program
Students must complete 750 total hours of internship over the course of their degree program; 350 of these must be involve direct client contact, and the remainder may involve planning, documentation, staff meetings, and supervision. The number of hours obtained per semester is flexible to meet student needs.
Many students complete the majority of their hours over the summer semesters; summer semesters offer the possibility of out-of-state or international placements.
The art therapy internship coordinator assists students in finding placements. Examples of sites include:
- psychiatric inpatient programs,
- residential treatment centers for children and adolescents,
- substance abuse treatment programs,
- hospice agencies,
- school settings,
- in-home family service programs,
- autism spectrum programs,
- medical rehabilitation and oncology hospitals/agencies/centers,
- community mental health centers,
- corrections programs,
- domestic violence shelters,
- elderly and Alzheimers service programs,
- programs for adults with developmental delays,
- sand special camps.
In addition to internship sites in Emporia, we also have internship sites in the Kansas City metro area, Lawrence, Topeka, and Wichita. Prospective students already living in one of the latter locations may want to consult with the internship coordinator before relocating to Emporia.