Explore careers in education
Kansas Future Teacher Academy
2022 Kansas Future Teacher Academy
The 2022 Kansas Future Teacher Academy is scheduled for June 5-9, 2022 to be held through Emporia State. Applications are available to download.
Careers for an individual with a degree in education
● teacher: early childhood / elementary / middle school / high school ● coach: academic / athletic ● curriculum development ● online teaching ● textbook author/editor ● test developer ● education research ● social welfare ● community service ● child care administration ● vocational counseling ● educational sales ● corporate professional development
An education degree can be the foundation for specialized positions
● adaptive physical education instructor ● curriculum specialist ● guidance counselor ● school librarian ● school psychologist ● special education administrator ● school principal ● district administrator ● speech and language pathologist ● superintendent ● reading specialist
A degree in education does not always lead to a job in a traditional school setting
● charter schools ● private schools ● magnet schools ● schools outside the US (including Department of Defense schools) ● recreation centers ● hospitals ● correctional institutions ● museums ● libraries ● churches ● government agencies ● test preparation companies ● international language schools
The Kansas Future Teacher Academy at Emporia State University, sponsored by The Teachers College, has graduated more than 1,200 high school students over more than 30 years.
Since 1989, when the first academy had the honor of receiving the AASCU Christa McAuliffe Showcase for Excellence Award, the Future Teacher Academy at ESU has provided select students with the opportunity to learn more about the challenges and rewards of teaching and has become recognized as an established and highly respected training opportunity for students throughout the state of Kansas.
During this intense five-day program, the participants share in a variety of activities that will help them to understand better what teachers do and to determine whether or not they have the potential for meeting this professional challenge.
The application for the academy is posted from this web site and all Kansas public and private high school principals and counselors are notified when the application becomes available.
This academy is a chance for you to explore teaching / career in education as a possible career choice. What do we offer? What does the academy experience give you?
Annual KFTA Timeline
- Fall Semester / Early Spring Semester - applications are made available
- March - applications are due
- April - notifications to applicants are sent out
- June - academy is held
We celebrated our 30th year in 2019! That's a lot of people - around 2,000 - who have attended the academy. Were you one of them?
Whatever career you go into, it helps to learn from your peers. There are a number of organizations you can follow on social media to see if what they are talking about is what lights your professional fire.