Department of
School Leadership / Middle and Secondary Teacher Education

Educational Administration Building-Level Master's Degree Program or Licensure Program

The Educational Administration master's program qualifies students for Building-Level administrator licensure endorsement. The non-degree Educational Administration Building-Level and District-Level licensure are also available.

Emporia State University’s Building-Level graduate degree and licensure program are 35-credit hour programs intended for licensed school personnel interested in becoming educational administrators. Classes are available online during the spring, fall, and summer semesters. Practicum is completed during the final fall and spring semesters of the program.


Admission to Graduate Studies

Gaining admission to a graduate program in our department must be initiated by you through contact with the Graduate School, Campus Box 03, Emporia State University, 1 Kellogg Drive, Emporia, Kansas 66801-5414, (620) 341-5403; or by applying online.


Admission Requirements

Students must follow the graduate degree procedures of the Department of School Leadership/Middle and Secondary Teacher Education and the Graduate School at Emporia State University. The criteria for unconditional admission include the following:

  • We no longer require the GRE or MAT exam!
  • GPA of 3.0 on the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work for those completing a masters degree or 3.0 on the last 30 hours of graduate course work from a previously completed masters program.
  • Copy of state issued teaching license.
  • Official transcripts of all college work (or official copy of masters transcript for licensure-only applicants)
  • Evidence of one year accredited experience in a certified position (five years in content area required for certification) verified by the supervising administrator on the Reference Form.
  • Two references from supervisors or individuals who have had the responsibility of evaluating your  academic or professional performance.
  • Complete and pass the Department Essay
  • Current resume.
  • Complete the Disposition Form.

The above requirements must be successfully completed by the end of the first semester in the program in order to be released from probation and admitted unconditionally into the program.


Financial Aid

Students applying to the Educational Administration program can be found eligible for financial aid with a minimum of five credit hours for part-time graduate status or nine hours for full-time status. Students interested in financial aid must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)(ESU code 001927) and then coordinate with the Office of Financial Aid at ESU to ensure all requirements for eligibility are met. Contact the Office of Financial Aid for more information at (620) 341-5457 or


Graduation Requirements

Satisfactory completion of admission requirements, all course work, and a comprehensive examination (completed in one of the final two semesters) are required to be eligible for program completion. Upon satisfactory completion of six credit hours and successful completion of all specified admission items, degree-seeking students will be admitted to degree candidacy. Degree candidacy is the formal approval for pursuit of a graduate degree.  Students shall continuously demonstrate personal characteristics appropriate to the profession and maintain a 3.0 GPA or better throughout the program.  Failure to do so can result in instatement of probationary status or dismissal from the program.

All courses counted towards the degree must be completed within a seven-year period. The seven-year period begins with the semester in which the first course applied to the degree was taken. Up to nine credit hours may be transferred toward the degree with appropriate department approval. Before making any determination concerning transfer credits, ESU requires a transcript explanation, normally found on the back of official transcripts. University policy prohibits the transfer of courses where a grade of C or lower was obtained. Learn more about the full rules and restrictions regarding transfer credit.


Licensure Only

Applicants who already hold a master's degree can complete the program as licensure-only.  The admission and program requirements are the same for both the MS degree and licensure-only  (non-degree) programs.

The major differences with the licensure-only route include:

  1. the student must already hold a graduate degree to be eligible,
  2. licensure–only students will not earn a master's degree,
  3. licensure-only students may complete their program beyond the seven-year time frame required for degree-seeking students,
  4. licensure-only students can potentially transfer in more than nine credit hours with department approval (whereas the limit for degree students is nine hours), and
  5. the licensure-only option is not eligible for financial aid.