Office of Field Placement and Licensure

< OFPL Home

Provisional Licenses

A provisional license is a "temporary" type of license which attaches to a valid Kansas teaching license. A provisional means an individual is currently enrolled in a program toward a new endorsement area or new license area and also has been hired by a Kansas school to teach or serve in this new endorsement or license area. If you have not been hired by a Kansas school to teach in the requested provisional area, KSDE will not issue a provisional license without verification from a hiring district.

A provisional license application, Form 4, is available online at Please click the License Applications link under the Teaching & Learning tab. Once the form is filled out and submitted, it will be routed through the school district where the applicant’s employment can be verified. Afterwards, the form is routed through ESU’s Licensure Officer for the licensure recommendation.

For special education provisional licenses, you must have completed coursework in the areas of methodology and the characteristics of exceptional children and special education, and completion of a practicum in the specific special education field.

For other teaching endorsements, you must have completed at least 50% of the approved program in the requested endorsement field.

For school specialists (school counseling, library media, and reading specialists), you must have completed at least 50 percent of your coursework toward the master's degree.

Parallel Pathways school counselor candidates and school leadership candidates are not eligible for a provisional license, according to KSDE regulations.