Skip to content
Toggle Left Side Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I request information about attending Emporia State University?
Call toll free 1-877-468-6378 or email to speak with an Admissions representative.

What are the requirements for freshman admission? 
Emporia State, along with the other five Kansas Regents Universities, has been using Qualified Admissions standards since August of 2001. Students will automatically be admitted to ESU by meeting ONE of these requirements!
*Achieve an ACT Score of 21 or above, or a verbal + math SAT score of 980 or above.
*Rank in the top one-third of their high school’s graduating class.
*Complete the pre-college curriculum with at least a 2.0 Grade Point Average.
Students from out of state must have at least a 2.5 Grade Point Average on a comparable curriculum. (for more information on the curriculum, go to

What is the deadline for admissions at Emporia State University?
While ESU does not have an application deadline, it is best to apply as soon as possible so they receive information about Residential Life, Financial Aid, Scholarships and SWARM (pre-enrollment) as soon as it is available!

Who has to live on campus?
All first year students are required to live in the residence halls. The only exceptions are: 1.) Students living within 30 miles of campus with an immediate family member (parent, sibling, aunt/uncle, or grandparent); 2.) Students who are 19 yrs. old prior to the first day of class; or 3.) Students who graduated from high school before May of 2007. (First-year waiver forms must be filled out to be exempt from living on campus. Please contact the Department of Residential Life at 620-341-5264 to receive a waiver form.)

How long does the housing contract last?
The housing contract is for the entire academic year. Early cancellations are charged a cancellation fee. Please contact the Department of Residential Life for specific details.

How many residence halls are there?
There are 9 residence halls split between two complexes.
The Morse Complex consists of: Northeast Morse, Abigail Morse, Central Morse, South Morse, and Southeast Morse Halls. The Towers Complex consists of: Singular Hall, Trusler Hall, South Tower, and North Tower.

Can students work on campus?
Yes! Students may apply for on-campus positions by visiting the Human Resources website at On-campus hourly students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 hours per semester for regular employment during the Academic Year. 
Students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week, during enrolled periods. In order to obtain and/or continue employment in a position, students must meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines. 
For summer employment, undergraduates and graduate students must be enrolled in at least one hour during the summer or pre enrolled for the fall semester.
Students must meet the enrollment requirements to hold a student position and be exempt from OASDI (FICA).

How can my student get involved?
ESU has over 140 recognized student organizations for students to participate in, ranging from academic concentrations to religious affiliations to hobbies and entertainment! There is something for everyone! The Center for Student Involvement, located in the Memorial Union, has information and resources to help students get involved. To view a listing of the Recognized Student Organizations visit: or contact the Center for Student Involvement at 620-341-5481.