Lena Rios Memorial Scholarship
J.D. Rios received a Bachelor of Education degree in 1983 in the field of Social Sciences from Emporia State University. As a student he participated in Associated Student Government, worked as a resident assistant, and served in Black Student Union in the role of President. In 1993 he received a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership from the University of Missouri – Kansas City. J.D. has played an active role in advancing the Kansas City Kansas Public Schools as the talent acquisition and recruiting manager and he holds a deep passion for education. J.D. joined the Emporia State University Foundation as a Trustee in 2015. He has also been active as a KCK Community College Trustee, served on the Hispanic Advisory Board for UMKC and served as an Alumni Board Member for UMKC. J.D. is also a board member of El Centro, the largest Hispanic serving non-profit in Kansas City Kansas and Johnson County. J.D.’s interests are in human/civil rights and politics. Through this scholarship J.D. wants to share his financial resources to impact the lives of students and to honor his mother.
- Students who have graduated from a high school in Wyandotte County, Kansas; and
- Students who share the donor’s passion for advancing diversity and inclusion at ESU.
- Student must be an entering freshmen
- (2) references from academic high school class room teachers
- Attach academic transcript (no GPA requirement)