Skip to content
Toggle Left Side Navigation

How Do I Know If I Need Counseling?

Counseling makes sense when you are having trouble coping with a stressful situation or solving a personal problem. It offers emotional support, new perspectives and help considering possible solutions. So if you are in a lot of distress, feel overwhelmed by a problem, or feel that you keep repeating the same mistakes, then you might consider seeking counseling.

We invite you to explore the COLLEGE RESPONSE ON-LINE SCREENING FOR MENTAL HEALTH. This free screening is available to all ESU students and is taken anonymously.  The screening is provided so that you may find out, in a few minutes, whether or not professional consultation would be helpful to you  The screening specifically addresses depression, anxiety, eating disorders and alcohol abuse.  Click on the following link for this option: On-Line Mental Health Screening

More specifically, we see students with the following concerns:

  • psychological issues such as depression, anxiety, or eating disorders
  • broader personal issues such as self-esteem, communication problems, relationship issues, sexual orientation or family conflict
  • crisis situations such as suicidal thoughts, date rape, or the death of someone close.

Counseling may be of help to you if you....

  • feel as if you have no direction in life
  • are constantly picking what seems to be the "wrong" friends
  • have something you have never told anybody but feel like you should
  • study and do your homework but still get unsatisfactory results
  • received all A's and B's in high school and now you are in academic probation
  • can't decide on a major
  • feel stressed out or anxious
  • drink heavily or are using drugs
  • feel like you can't go on
  • think that things always go wrong for you
  • feel stressed about being away from home
  • eat too much or too little
  • have questions about your sexuality
  • have difficulty making friends

These are just some of the reasons students come to the Counseling Center, 250 Southeast Morse Hall. If you are uncertain about your issue, come in or call (620) 341-5222 and a counselor can help you decide.