Diversity + Inclusion Men of Excellence Mentoring
The program teams up university black and Latino professionals with incoming male students of color
Men of Excellence Mentoring
The Men of Excellence Mentoring Program teams up university black and Latino professionals with incoming male students of color to serve as positive role models. This program strengthens and sustains students in meeting their educational goals and in helping make the college experience exciting fulfilling while transitioning from high school to college.
What Mentoring Is
Mentoring consists of focused and selected activities that seek to enhance and enrich students’ opportunities to successfully persist at Emporia State University through goal attainment and graduation. Mentoring activities link students with a concerned person (MENTOR) who will listen, understand, negotiate, and encourage students to utilize all resources available to achieve academic success.
Incoming students will be selected based off high school counsellor recommendation, entry through the 10% window, financial need and whether or not they’re a first generational college student. Incoming students can self-select to participate into the program upon application review.
Men of Excellence Program Benefits
When a mentee commits to his academic success and selects the Men of Excellence Program, everyone benefits.
Benefits to Mentors
- To share one's knowledge and experiences
- To enhance self-esteem
- To share educational, leadership, career and learning goals
- To gain recognition for service to the individual and the University
- To enjoy the feeling of being useful and supportive
- A meaningful resume entry
Benefits to Mentees
- To learn more about the University and the community
- To build self-esteem
- To enhance self-motivation, self-discipline and goal setting
- To be more successful in one's academic career
- To be motivated by academic success