Applying for Doctor of Philosophy
The next Ph.D. cohort will begin classes in fall 2020. Applications will be accepted beginning June 1, 2019.
June 1 – October 1, 2019 — Accepting Ph.D. applications for fall 2020 cohort
November 1, 2019 — Begin review of applications
January 15, 2020 — Applicant notification of decision
Applications received after November 1, 2019 will be reviewed before March 1, 2020 and notified of decision by May 1, 2020.
Requirements (review in-progress; revised by June 1, 2017)
To be considered for the program, an applicant must provide the following:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale
- A GRE score of at least 304 (total verbal reasoning and quantitative scores);
- Three current letters of recommendation that speak to an applicant’s qualifications for graduate study and research;
- A sample of written work that demonstrates an applicant’s scholarly writing ability;
- A 200-300 word statement outlining the applicant’s career goals and research interests; and
- When appropriate, a strong performance on the TOEFL, usually evidenced by a score of 650 or above.
In some cases, an applicant who does not meet the above criteria may be admitted on academic probation. Academic probation allows a student the opportunity to demonstrate his/her ability to succeed with doctoral level course work.
International Students - Please complete the online application found at https://apply.emporia.edu/Ellucian.ERecruiting.Web.External/Pages/Welcome.aspx.
For more information about the degree, see the Doctor of Philosophy page.