Mission, Vision and Strategic Plan 2015-2025
Educating successful library and information professionals with imagination, creativity and innovations.
Embracing an interdisciplinary culture of collaboration and diversity for the common good.
Strategic Plan 2015-2025
Goal 1: Achieve excellence in the education of students for professional careers in library and information organizations.
- Objective 1.1: Provide a theory-driven, research-based curriculum that reflects best practices, anticipates change, and prepares students for work, advanced study, and lifelong learning consistent with the current and future needs of the library and information professions.
- Strategy 1.1.1: Faculty will conduct an on-going review of the SLIM curriculum, including certificates and concentrations, and make recommendations to the SLIM dean.
- Strategy 1.1.2: Develop a course to support professional development and career placement.
- Objective 1.2: Ensure that SLIM’s curriculum and program outcomes are consistent with the needs of the profession as articulated by stakeholders.
- Strategy 1.2.1: The SLIM Dean or designee will meet with the SLIM Advisory Boards a minimum of once per year. Minutes of the meetings will be forwarded to SLIM faculty and staff and discussed.
- Objective 1.3: Ensure that SLIM faculty receive support for professional and scholarly activities that support the curriculum.
- Strategy 1.3.1: The SLIM dean will approve funding requests for appropriate travel and conference registration as supported by the current budget and University policy. Other professional development opportunities and training will be offered at the ESU campus.
- Objective 1.4: Ensure that faculty and staff have access to professional development opportunities that encourage technology use and instructional innovation and provide financial support as appropriate and supported by the SLIM budget.
- Strategy 1.4.1: Faculty will engage in some form of professional development related to technology in each academic year.
- Strategy 1.4.2: Faculty will engage in one or more professional development opportunities that support innovation in instructional design and delivery.
- Objective 1.5: Ensure that SLIM full-time and part-time faculty receive academic, logistical, and technological support when teaching at SLIM or at any of the SLIM regional locations.
- Strategy 1.5.1: Provide technology assistance to each course for the duration of each semester and provide support at weekend-intensive teaching locations through the presence of a regional director or SLIM Help personnel.
- Strategy 1.5.2: Provide technology support for faculty and students via SLIM Help and the IT Help Desk.
- Strategy 1.5.3: Faculty will evaluate the academic, logistical, and technology support they received at the end of each semester.
- Objective 1.6 Enhance intellectual opportunities for SLIM students in Kansas and at the regional sites through support for their participation in unique and dynamic learning experiences.
- Strategy 1.6.1: Regional Directors will arrange for a minimum of one unique learning experience such as visiting speakers or a field trip, each year for each cohort in their region.
- Strategy 1.6.2: Regional Directors will assist with dissemination of information about SLIM special current interest courses, such as those connected with the SLIM International Program.
- Objective 1.7: Enhance the student experience at SLIM and ensure that students receive academic and financial support to enhance their ability to meet personal professional goals and academic success according to available resources.
- Strategy 1.7.1: Provide all students with academic support through a systematic program of student advisement at each location.
- Strategy 1.7.2: Provide updated training for each regional director on an annual basis.
- Strategy 1.7.3: Provide equitable opportunities for students to qualify for SLIM scholarships and fellowships and make funding available according to current financial resources.
- Objective 1.8: Provide leadership experiences for SLIM students and encourage the development of professional values in SLIM students, including their participation in professional organizations, conferences, and activities.
- Strategy 1.8.1: SLIM will work with recognized student organizations and regional professional organizations to increase student participation and conference attendance.
- Strategy 1.8.2: Students will be encouraged to engage in some form of professional service in their local communities.
GOAL #2: Increase and improve initiatives to engage in collaborative efforts with SLIM constituents at local, regional, national, and international levels to increase SLIM visibility across contexts and ensure continued support for our program.
- Objective 2.1: Ensure that processes and procedures are in place for the systematic identification and recruitment by SLIM faculty, staff, and stakeholder groups of highly qualified students.
- Strategy 2.1.1: Request stakeholder groups in Kansas and at regional locations to identify qualified candidates for SLIM programs.
- Strategy 2.1.2: Institute a recognition program for student referrals.
- Objective 2.2: Increase interaction with SLIM alumni at social and professional events.
- Strategy 2.2.1: Increase the number of social events and other activities involving SLIM faculty, students, staff, and alumni according to current financial resources.
- Strategy 2.2.2: Increase full-time and part-time faculty attendance at SLIM alumni events.
- Objective 2.3: Increase professional collaboration through a program of regularly scheduled activities and information exchange.
- Strategy 2.3.1: Implement a minimum of one inter-university or college activity during each academic year.
- Strategy 2.3.2: Implement a program of professional development activities in collaboration with major employers.
Goal #3: Increase global awareness and intercultural sensitivity among SLIM students through continuing programs that offer opportunities for intercultural engagement and study.
- Objective 3.1: Provide an array of learning experiences for SLIM students that provide an understanding of other cultures, as the budget allows.
- Strategy 3.1.1: Increase the variety of student learning experiences available through SLIM.
Goal #4: Enhance SLIM’s physical facilities for functionality and aesthetics.
- Objective 4.1: Maintain an instructional environment at SLIM that supports students in their learning tasks, their technological requirements, and their physical needs.
- Strategy 4.1.1: Maintain and update technology to keep pace with student and faculty needs.
- Objective 4.2: Maintain a work environment for SLIM faculty that enables them to work efficiently on tasks related to teaching, research, and service. (COA VI)
- Objective 4.3: Maintain a work environment for SLIM staff that enables them to work efficiently on administrative and advisement tasks.
Goal #5: Nurture human potential through the infusion of diversity within the curriculum, research, outreach, and the recruitment of students, faculty, and staff.
- Objective 5.1: SLIM will engage in an active program of recruitment and retention of minority students in Kansas and across the regional sites.
- Strategy 5.1.1: Create and implement a diversity scholarship program.
- Strategy 5.1.2: Participate through advertising and/or sponsorship and attendance at ALA Ethnic Affiliate conferences.
- Objective 5.2: Encourage the variety of international and multiethnic perspectives among SLIM faculty and students and teach these concepts across the curriculum.
- Strategy 5.2.1: Include staff and additional faculty on international and multicultural trips and experiences.