What's going on?
Accompanying Dr. Ratra's presentation on Dark Matter, Peterson Planetarium will be hosting a costume parade/contest! It starts at 6:15 pm, but if you're going to be in the contest, you've got to RSVP by noon the day before and pick up your number in science hall by 6:10 pm right before the parade. You must be 13+ to enter. For rules and a list of the categories, see below. Winners will be announced around 8 pm, after Dr. Ratra's speech when all results have been tallied. You MUST be present to receive your prize, unless arranged previously with planetarium staff. Two winner's per category; judge's favorite and audience favorite!
Wednesday October 26th 12:00 pm - RSVP to reserve your spot in the costume contest.
Thursday October 27th 6:10 pm - Register and pick up your number to participate in costume contest. After this time, all remaining numbers will be disqualified!
Thursday October 27th 6:15 pm - Parade and judging will begin
Thursday October 27th 7:00 pm - Dr. Ratra will begin his presentation on Cosmology and the Expansion of the Universe
Thursday October 27th ~8:00 pm - Winners for costume contest will be announced.
How to RSVP
Call: (620) 341-5636
Stop by SMEC: Room 177 in the Science Hall on ESU campus
Make sure to leave: participant name, email, and category
- Participants must be 13+ years.
- PARTICIPANTS WILL BE SPLIT DIVIDED INTO DIFFERENT CATEGORIES BASED ON THEIR COSTUME.
- BOTH DIY (DO IT YOURSELF) AND STORE BOUGHT COSTUMES WILL BE ALLOWED.
- COSTUMES MUST BE APPORPRIATE AND BE NON-REVEALING. POINTS WILL BE DOCKED IF THE COSTUME IS JUDGED TO BE INAPPROPRIATE.
- ANY COSTUME THAT INCLUDES DANGEROUS SUBSTANCES OR ITEMS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED. HOWEVER, OTHER PROPS MAY BE USED.
- THERE MAY BE MULTIPLES OF COSTUMES BUT THE COSTUME THAT IS BETTER WILL WIN.
- EVERYONE HAS A FAIR CHANCE OF WINNING.
- THE COSTUME CONTEST IS FOR FUN AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN TOO SERIOULSY.
- WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED AFTER DR. RATRA’S PRESENTATION.
- ALIENS – “RELATING TO OR DENOTING BEINGS SUPPOSEDLY FROM OTHER WORLDS; EXTRATERRESTRIAL”
(LITTLE GREEN MEN, REPTILIAN, HUMANAOID, ETC.)
- ASTRONAUT – “A PERSON WHO TRAVELS BEYOND THE EARTH’S ATMOSPHERE”
(SPACE SUIT, BUZZ ALDRIN, NEIL ARMSTRONG, ETC.)
- STARS/PLANETS – “A FIXED LUMINOUS POINT IN THE NIGHT SKY THAT IS LARGE”/ “A CELESTIAL BODY MOVING IN AN ELLIPTICAL ORBIT AROUND A STAR”
(THE SUN, EARTH, THE MOON, NEPTUNE, ETC.)
- MYTHOLOGY/ZODIAC – “a COLLECTION OF MYTHS, ESPECIALLY ONE BELONGING TO A PARTICULAR RELIGIOUS OR CULTURAL TRADITION”/ “ALL APARENT POSITIONS OF THE SUN, MOON, AND MOST FAMILIAR PLANETS”
(POSIEDON, LIBRA, CANCER, LEO, ETC.)
- TELEVISION/MOVIE CHARACTERS – “SOMEONE OR SOMETHING THAT IS RECOGNIZABLE IN A MOVIE OR TV SHOW”
(THE JETSONS, BUZZ LIGHTYEAR, DARTH VADER, STAR LORD, ETC.)