School of Library and Information Management Technical Support + Requirements
Technical Support + Requirements
- Processor:Intel-Core series (I3, I5, I7)
- Memory/RAM: 4 gigabytes or higher
- Hard Drive: 250 gigabytes or larger
- Warranty: 3-5 Years!
- Wifi Ready
- Microphone headset combo, or ear buds with a built-in microphone
- Functioning Webcam
- Several USB flash drives for transporting, transferring and backing up your files
- External Hard drive which meets or exceeds your hard drive capacity (for backups)
Required Network Access
- Internet access: Broadband speed (DSL or cable)
Operating System Software:
- Windows: Windows 7 or newer preferred
- Macintosh: Mac OS X 10.6 or newer preferred
Office Suite Software:
- Office Suite software is available FREE to ESU students via the Emporia State TechSite
- Windows: Microsoft Office 2016 preferred
- Macintosh: Microsoft Office 2016 preferred
- Tools to read and create PDFs: e.g., CutePDF Writer, PDFCreator, or Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Office Suite software is available FREE to ESU students
- The brand and model of computer you get are not as important as it used to be. Most brands are pretty much the same . You don't even really need to worry whether you get a "mac or a PC". Either will work for you and we support both. What you do need to focus on is what's inside the computer. We recommend laptops because they are portable. You can take them to class, the library, or anywhere else you need to go. ESU offers free Wireless Internet access to all ESU students on campus and at all our program sites.
- Choose a laptop or desktop which has USB ports and audio jacks that are easily accessible.
- Use a backup program such as Windows Backup or Mac OS Time Machine with an external hard drive to ensure file recovery in the event of a system malfunction.
- Plug your computer into a surge protector or uninterruptible power supply.
- Take the Online Learning Readiness Survey. As a blended program, SLIM coursework involves both face-to-face time and significant online coursework. The Online Student Readiness Survey is provided by eLearning Services. It will provide you with a score that reflects your readiness for online learning in several areas. We recommend that prospective students who score medium to low in any of the survey areas investigate resources provided by the survey or contact the local MLS Program director in their area for information about how they can become better prepared for online learning.
Please contact SLIM TechCircle Support, at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions about SLIM’s technology requirements.
SLIM Tech Circle Support Services
The SLIM TechCircle support staff is available for assisting SLIM faculty and students with technical issues related to SLIM Canvas courses and other ESU technology resources. Our services are available in person, on the phone, or via e-mail. For issues we don't have the authority to resolve, such as password problems, we will refer you to the central ESU Information Technology Department (IT) Helpdesk (1-877-341-5555).
For more detailed information about our services, please take a look at our brochures:
Congwen Wang, Graduate Assistant
Daniel Mick, Graduate Assistant
Mike Wetta, Graduate Assistant
William Allen White Library
620-341-5235 (or Toll-Free: 1-800-552-4770, ext 5235)
Open Office Hours
Our office hours are generally 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday-Friday Central Standard Time. In person help (face-to-face or via phone) is available during these times. You may also email us at email@example.com with questions or schedule a specific time with us for phone or face-to-face support.