SLIM Health Information Professionals Certificate
Health Information Professionals Certificate
The Health Information Professionals (HIP) Certificate includes 18 credit hours of specialized courses in the context of health information science. To guide students who are pursuing HIP as their learning objective and career goal, this graduate certificate program focuses on learning librarianship, evidence-based practice and resource, health information technology applications (e.g., health informatics and health information retrieval and systems), and barriers of equitable access to health information resources and services (e.g., minority health, health disparities, and health-related social injustice).
Apply to Emporia State University.
|COURSE TITLE||CREDIT HOURS||COURSE DESCRIPTION|
|*LI 800: Introduction to Informatics||3 hours||
- A customized concentration covers the applications of information technology in healthcare and health sciences librarianship, including Electronic Medical Records, Evidence-Based Medicine, eHealth, and other emerging consumer health informatics applications.
|*LI 819: Information Retrieval||3 hours||
- A customized concentration emphasizes the use of evaluation techniques to assess health information systems, as well as various standards of health data management applied to improve health information accessibility.
|*LI 833: Resources and Services for Diverse Populations||3 hours||
- A customized concentration emphasizes health-related community information needs, especially minority health, health disparities, and injustice among disadvantaged communities and populations.
|LI 881: Health Sciences Librarianship||3 hours||
- Course learning activities and projects will cover topics including embedded librarianship, evidence-based practice, scholarly communication, health literacy, and research data management.
|LI 886: Consumer Health Information||3 hours||
- Course learning activities and projects will include approaches to locating authoritative consumer health information, patient education support, advocacy, and the development and execution of consumer health outreach projects.
|*HIP Current Issues or Special Topics||3 hours||
Select 3 credit hours from this list:
- LI 825: Special Topics in Diversity and Inclusion (1–3 hours)
- LI 828: Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Response for Information Professionals (3 hours)
- LI 861: Current Issues in Information Transfer (1–3 hours)
- LI 862: Current Issues in Technology (1–3 hours)
- LI 863: Current Issues in Management in Information Organizations (1–3 hours)
|TOTAL CREDIT HOURS||18 hours|
*NOTE: Current issues, special topics, or customized courses must focus on a health-related topic approved by the instructor.
Phone + Email
Emporia State University
School of Library and Information Management
Campus Box 4025
1 Kellogg Circle
Emporia, KS 66801