SLIM Applying for the Doctor of Philosophy
Apply for Doctor of Philosophy
Apply for Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Program
A new cohort of Ph.D. students is scheduled to being in fall 2022.
Applications will be accepted beginning June 1, 2021. There are two application review cycles.
Review Cycle One
- June 1 – October 1, 2021, we will accept Ph.D. applications for the fall 2022 cohort.
- Applicants who have submitted complete applications by October 1 will be notified of the decision by January 15, 2022.
Review Cycle Two
- October 2, 2021 – March 1, 2022, we will continue to receive applications and review complete applications.
- Applicants who have submitted a complete application by March 1 will be notified of the decision by May 1, 2022.
- Enrollment for fall 2022 classes must be processed by July 1.
To be considered for the program, an applicant must provide the following:
- Cumulative graduate school GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale
- A GRE score of at least 304 (total verbal reasoning and quantitative scores);
- Three current letters of recommendation that speak to an applicant’s qualifications for graduate study and research;
- A sample of written work that demonstrates an applicant’s scholarly writing ability;
- A 200-300 word statement outlining the applicant’s career goals and research interests; and
- When appropriate, a strong performance on the TOEFL, usually evidenced by a score of 650 or above.
In some cases, an applicant who does not meet the above criteria may be admitted on academic probation. Academic probation allows a student the opportunity to demonstrate his/her ability to succeed with doctoral-level course work.
International Students - Please complete the online application found at https://apply.emporia.edu/Ellucian.ERecruiting.Web.External/Pages/Welcome.aspx.
For more information about the degree, see the Doctor of Philosophy page.