Glossary of Terms

Dropping a class

Students may DROP a class the first 10 days of each semester.  No record of the class(es) that are dropped during that period will appeal on the transcript.  Meet with your advisor for more assistance and information.

Withdrawing from a Class

The official WITHDRAW period begins the 11th day of class through the 10th week of a regular semester.  A “W” will be recorded on the transcript for withdraw classes.  Consult your advisor for more assistance and information.

Academic Probation:


When the cumulative GPA falls below the levels listed below, the student will be placed on academic probation after attempting a minimum of 12 semester hours. This indicates serious deficiency in the student's progress toward a degree.


A student who is placed on academic probation and achieves a 2.00 GPA the following semester will be continued on probation if the required cumulative GPA is not achieved.


If the required cumulative GPA for good academic standing is met, the student will be removed from academic probation.


Classification at End of the Semester

Credits Toward Degree at End of the Semester

Cumulative GPA at End of the Semester


Freshmen . . . . . . . . . . .

Sophomore . . . . . . . . . .

Juniors . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Seniors . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Under 30 . . . . . . . .

30-59 . . . . . . . . . . .

40-89 . . . . . . . . . . .

90 or more . . . .  . .







Required Withdrawal

If a student fails to achieve a minimum 2.00 GPA the following semester and fails to achieve the required cumulative GPA, s/he will be required to withdraw from the University. If a student is required to withdraw and wishes to seek reinstatement, s/he must petition to return to the University.  Students that are advised in the Student Advising Center should get the form from PH 206 or  If you are advised in your academic department, you should get the form from Registration.  A committee will review your request and notify you of the outcome.

If the appropriate committee then denies a request for reinstatement, the student is not eligible for enrollment for the next semester in any department on campus. A request for reinstatement for any future term should be in writing and addressed to the Registrar. Such requests should be received no later than 30 days prior to the date of desired readmission. 

Financial Aid:


Because of differing criteria, students can be suspended from financial aid but not from the University.  They can also be suspended from both financial aid and the University (required withdraw). 

If financial aid determines that your future eligibility has been discontinued, you will be notified by mail that you do not meet the standards.  Students can appeal their financial by completing and submitting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal form.  Appeals are then: approved, rejected, or submitted to the SAP Committee for review.  If your appeal is submitted to the SAP Committee, you will be notified and asked to meet before the Committee.  After meeting with the student, the Committee will then approve (with or without stipulations) or reject.