International Students

 Welcome to ESU!

Our international students love to live on campus to learn about American culture and meet new, interesting people. Most students live on campus because of the convenience and security campus living offers and excitement of being where the action is!  

  • On-campus housing provides an all-inclusive living community that is most convenient for our students. 
  • Morse Hall residents can use the community kitchen to prepare cultural dishes.
  • Living on campus is safe, economical and fun!
  • Cost of housing includes water, air conditioning, heating, electricity and unlimited Wi-Fi use at no additional charge.
  • The contract is for an academic year, and not for 12 months as some off-campus housing requires.
  • Dining Hall meal plans are also provided with the ability to pick the right one for your needs.


 Some Frequently Asked Questions:  


How do I reserve my room and select my meal plan?

Submit a completed contract (available on our website) to the Department of Residential Life.

When is the contract due?

Rooms are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis; the sooner you submit your contract the more likely you are to be assigned your first room preference. 

Am I required to have a meal plan?

Yes.  All students who live in the residence halls are required to have a meal plan. You have a choice to pick one of three plan options.

When do I have to move out?

The residence halls open August 15, 2014 and close at noon on December 13, 2014 for Winter Break and reopen at noon on January 18, 2015. You do not need to move your belongings out over Winter Break but you will not be allowed to stay on-campus between December 12, 2014 and January 18, 2015. The halls will close for the summer at noon on May 16, 2015 and you will need to be fully moved out of the Residence Halls by that time.

Can I cancel my contract?

Only under special circumstances is a contract cancelled, and there is a 40% fee associated with cancelling.  If  a student’s permit only allows for one semester of study at ESU, the housing contract only applies to the one semester.

What furniture is already in my room?

All rooms include a bed, extra-long twin mattress, desk, desk chair, and built in closets or wardrobes.

What if I have other questions?

Contact the department of Residential Life: Call us at 620-341-5264, fax 620-341-6228, send an email to, or visit our website:


First-Year residency requirement:

Emporia State University requires all full-time, first-year students to live in the residence halls (freshmen and international students). Please complete the housing contract as soon as possible to reserve a room.

The Housing Contract is located here.

Any student in their first year at Emporia State who wants to be exempt from the live-in requirement policy must complete a First Year Student Housing Waiver Request form.

To know if you qualify, please read the directions on the above form or contact the Office of International Education for more information.


Visit us at:                                                                                     

308 South Morse Hall - Campus Box 4009
1200 Commercial Street, Emporia, KS 66801-5087
Tel. (620) 341-5264 Fax. (620) 341-6228

We are also on Facebook and Twitter @ESUReslife

                                           Welcome ESU International Students!!! 


Temporary Housing

Unfortunatley we are unable to offer temproary housing within the Residence Halls. If you need to book a hotel for your first few nights in Emporia, please contact the Office of International Education

This includes days leading up to the preapproved move-in date and days after the halls close. Please book your flights accordingly as we are unable to allow students to remain in the residence halls past closing.