Arrival Information for Fall
Students should arrive on Monday, August 13 for new international students orientation
Getting to Emporia from Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
- We recommend students to book flights to MCI and arrive on August 13 (Fall 2018 enrollment) if you want to use the airport pickup services organized by our office.
- ESU representatives to greet students on the scheduled day. Pick-up schedules are 12:00 15:00, and 18:00
- The cost of transportation is $35 dollars one-way per person. Please come prepared to pay in cash.
- Complete travel and housing information form two weeks prior to arrival (listed on the pre-arrival orientation)
Students should arrive in Emporia before or on August 13, 2018 (for fall 2018 enrollment).
- Participation in International Student Orientation is mandatory. The orientation will give you valuable information about being an ESU student as well as provide opportunities to meet other students while participating in fun activities!
- Students living off-campus arrive
toESU on their own should contact the OIE office room 40 by August 14th. Orientation will start August 14. Classes will start on Monday, August 20, 2018.
- ESU requires all full-time, first-year students to live in the residence halls (freshmen and international students). Complete the housing contract as soon as possible
- Housing contract instruction can be found here, and additional details please click here.
- Residence hall packing list can be found https://www.emporia.edu/reslife/movein/PackingList2018.pdf
If you need to send some of your belongings in advance, you may address them to the OIE. We will hold mail until you arrive to pick it up. Please address as follows:
Emporia State University
Office of International Education
1 Kellogg Circle, ESU Box 4041
Emporia, KS 66801-5415
For entry US:
- I-20 Document/ DS 2019 Document
Please allow at least 3 hours for your connecting flight(s).
For University record:
- Immunization records
- Original Academic Transcript etc.
INFO YOU NEED TO KNOW
The electrical current used for small appliances in the U.S. is 100-115 volts, 60 cycles. If you plan to bring appliances, consider bringing appropriate adapters/transformers.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash with you. Obtain a
bankcardto withdraw cash from an automatic teller machine (ATM) or bring your money in the form of traveler's checks.
- You can have your money electronically wired to a local bank in the United States after your arrival. Ask us about sending money to ESU with Flywire.
- Have access to enough money to cover first month's expenses and first semester's tuition, textbooks, insurance, and expenses of setting up your housing arrangements.
Kansas experiences four distinct seasons. If you arrive for Fall semester, you will arrive in August (summer season), and the temperatures usually range from 32° to 40°C. The temperature in the Winter is typically between -10° and 0° C. You should plan your wardrobe for changing seasons, but you may also purchase clothing upon arrival.
For more information about Visa Regulations and Immigration click here