gFriends at ESU
What is this program?
Global Friends or gFriends at ESU is a student program that promotes cultural integration among ESU students through friendship. It is specifically designed for new international students to assist with their cultural adjustment during their first year in ESU and cultural preparation for students wishing to study or work abroad.
Positive cultural integration among students attending ESU
Competency and leadership in cross-culture environment
Successful college experience at ESU
- To pair up new international student with a returning ESU student (international or domestic)
- To pair up student (international/domestic) who is wishing to study/work abroad with a student from or knowledgeable about the intended country/culture.
- To provide students interested in multicultural competencies with hands-on experience working with diverse populations.
Who can join this program?
- New international student who is interested to be paired up with a returning ESU student.
- Study abroad participant who wishes to get connected with a student from the intended country or region.
- ESU student who has been in ESU for at least one academic year (fall and spring) in order to be paired up with new international student(s). Student would be expected to share information about ESU and American culture.
- An international student who is interested to share his/her culture with a study abroad participant as cultural preparation.
- Any student who is either taking a course related to multiculturalism or interested in expanding their experience with diverse populations for professional or personal development.
How are participants paired up?
Participants are matched primarily by cultural interest, sex/gender, and age. We cannot guarantee your specific country or language preference but we will match you with a partner from that region.
What do gFriends do together?
Friends are encouraged to:
- Communicate through social media, email, or phone at least once a week
- Meet in person at least twice a month eg. Lunch, study together, visiting resources around campus, attend/participate in activity on and off campus, etc.
- Share about your culture (people, custom, food, education system, entertainment, tourism sites, etc.)
- Introduce your gFriend to your other friends or network
- Learn a few words of a foreign language
Why join this program?
This program provides cultural and educational support system for both international and domestic students. gFriends helps and supports each other through cultural and educational exchanges. This program also provides opportunity to enhance the competency and leadership skills in cross-culture environment.
Commitment on this program
We ask that participant commit at least one full semester of participation in the program. Students can participate in as many semesters as they are interested.
How do I apply?
Complete and submit application form in the Office of International Education, Room 040, Lower Level, on the West side of Memorial Union. Call 341-5374 for inquiries. Email inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.