I'm A Hornet from President ShonrockSeptember 24, 2014
- Roger D. and Carla (Bailey) Smith recently made an estate gift in excess of $1 million to Now & Forever: The Campaign for Emporia State University. A portion of the gift will benefit a Success Center and two scholarships in their names to benefit graduates of public high schools in Wichita, Paola and Ellsworth.
- Charles Ramos from Noel-Levitz Higher Education Consulting was recently on campus and congratulated Emporia State on another successful freshman enrollment cycle. This is the third consecutive year of growth!
- Congratulations to Associate Professor Max McCoy (English, Modern Languages, and Journalism) on being recognized at the 2014 Kansas Book Festival in Topeka. He was one of 15 Kansas authors that received the Notable Book Award at this year’s event.
- Diane DeBacker, the former commissioner of education for State of Kansas, will present “Education in the Arab World” on Friday, October 17 beginning at 10 a.m. in Visser Hall room 330. Diane is an ESU distinguished alumni and will be honored at Homecoming.
- The Alumni Association coordinated 104 volunteers for the Emporia State University booth at the Kansas State Fair. The group distributed 35,000 mints and 10,000 promotional bags while connecting with alumni, friends, and potential students.
- Emporia State University welcomes seven new international students who joined the AASCU 1-2-1 dual-degree program. At the end of their time at ESU, students will earn a degree from Emporia State University and their home university.
- The School of Business has launched its first mentor program to encourage relationship building between Emporia State alumni, supporters and current students. All of the matched participants will be invited to attend the first-ever School of Business Gala on November 7.
- The following individuals from Emporia State are involved in Leadership Emporia: Joan Brewer (The Teachers College), Sharon Brown (Elementary Education, Early Childhood, & Special Education), and Mike Wise (Recreation Services). There will be a series of workshops throughout this fall.
- On September 12, The School of Business held a dedication ceremony for the Koch Center for Leadership and Ethics which is located on the first floor or Cremer Hall.
- Emporia State is recruiting this month in South America to continue efforts to increase diversity in the international student population. Countries include Guatemala, Panama, Argentina and Ecuador among eight other stops in the continent.
- A recent article on Jerry Moran’s (United States Senator for Kansas) website featured Emporia State University and the Emporia Rotary Club. To view, please visit http://www.moran.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/newsletter?ID=1534b1f9-e8ae-4d08-9544-1c7d5ad0f65e
- Congratulations to Dr. Sheryl Lidzy (LA&S Interim Associate Dean) on receiving the Josh Lee Service Award at the Oklahoma Speech Theatre Communication Association meeting earlier this month.
- Congratulations to ESU communication students Marvin Meeks, Brea Rice, Taryn Siegrist, and Dwayne Walker on their outstanding performance at the Fifth Annual Student Public Relations Competition.
- Emporia State University accepted 167 new international students from 35 countries including new country additions such as Armenia, Ghana, Morocco and Tajikistan. Welcome all new international Hornets!
- Do you know someone who deserves to be a Distinguished Alumni of Emporia State University? Please complete the nomination form by October 1: http://www.emporia.edu/alumni/awards/distinguished-alumni-nomination-form.html
- Special thanks to all participants in the Buzz Around event on September 20. There were a variety of activities in academic programs in the following halls on campus: King, Beach, Roosevelt, and Plumb.
- The University Service Citation award recognizes unique and significant service to Emporia State University by alumni, friends, or former employees. To nominate an individual by December 1, please visit http://www.emporia.edu/alumni/awards/service-citation-nomination-form.html
- Emporia State University welcomed the first elementary schools from the Wichita Public Schools into the Elementary Education Professional Development School network on September 16.
- The School of Business held a faculty-community luncheon on September 12. Faculty members from across the university were invited to have lunch with representatives from organizations in Emporia to learn about service organizations and ways they can connect their classes with the local community.
- There are seven student organizations on campus run primarily by international students. Two of the newest club additions to the campus include the Model United Nations Club and UMOJA (African Students Organization).
- Congratulations to School of Library and Information Management (SLIM) students Eric Kessler and Linda Bowman, recipients of the Kansas City Kansas Public Library's Pat Gaunce Scholarship awarded to students pursuing a Masters of Library Science degree.
Check out our students' achievements and accomplishments on Emporia State's meritpages.com site