I'm a Hornet from President ShonrockApril 25, 2014
1. GREAT DAY TO BE A HORNET; Governor Sam Brownback visited campus on April 14th; announcing support of HB2506 which passed both chambers of the Kansas Legislature contains the following provisions for Emporia State: Honors College enhancement of $1 million per year, funding restorations in 2014 and 2015 ($572,488 and $711,554), technical corrections in 2014 and 2015 ($99,832 each year), and authorization to sell/transfer the ESU Apartments and retain the proceeds.
2. CONGRATS to Dr. R. Brent Thomas, newly appointed Dean of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences; Brent is currently Department Chair and Professor of Biological Sciences at Emporia State.
3. School of Business held a ribbon cutting on April 17th with the opening of a new Business Resource Center; students can receive information about School of Business events, scholarship opportunities, student organizations, tutoring services, degree options, university happenings and community activities.
4. Youth Leadership Day on April 10th, welcomed 120 high school students to campus; entire event was created, organized, and facilitated by students in the Leadership Studies minors program!
5. The first of three finalists for the position of Vice President for Administration and Fiscal Affairs interviewed this week; Diana E. Kuhlmann, Associate Vice President for Fiscal Affairs and Budget Director.
6. CONGRATS to the newly elected Associated Student Government officers: ASG President Tyler Huddleston, junior Spanish/Communication major from Topeka and ASG Vice President Victoria Harmon, junior Accounting major from Wichita.
7. Directly west of the One Room School House, the National Teachers Hall of Fame’s Memorial to Fallen Educators has broken ground and completed in Jun 2014.
8. The first of four stations electric charging stations for electric cars has been located in the new parking lot east of King Hall.
9. School of Library and Information Management (SLIM) faculty and staff met at the Kansas Leadership Center April 9th for training in the adaptive leadership principles they are incorporating into the Master of Library Science and doctoral program curriculum; SLIM is the first graduate program to participate in the ESU/KLC partnership.
10. Don Morfitt, Information Technology Administrative Solutions team, was recognized at the Ellucian Live 2014 Conference with the “2014 Outstanding Contributor Award” for “Excellence in Community Building and Support of Peers and Colleagues” within the Ellucian Mobile Community.
11. Undergraduate Admissions hosted an Open House in the Wichita Admissions Office on April 16th; Denelle Hurd, Admissions Counselor and Laura Eddy, Director, met with high school juniors and family members about becoming part of the Hornet Nation!
12. NYC City Jazz Festival was a rousing success. The 22-member band performed on April 12th in the New York Hilton Midtown and April 13th in the Lincoln Center; concerts included musical pieces by Mercer Ellington, Tom Kubis, Fred Sturm and Sammy Nestico.
13. Megan Van Anne, Local Admissions Counselor, welcomed students and guests from Coffey, Lyon, and Osage counties on April 17th for Tri-County Junior/Senior Day; students had the opportunity to learn about our academic programs and the Jones Fund Education Grant and Tuition Voucher program.
14. This month, Emporia State celebrated its annual recognition of those employees serving the University 10, 20, 30, and 40 years; including a special honor to Dr. Tom Eddy, Professor of Biology for 50 Years of Service.
15. CONGRATS to Dr. Charles Brown, Professor of Philosophy, who recently received a surprise visit from the President, Provost, Dean, and Department Chair selected as the 2014 Roe R. Cross Distinguished Professor; Dr. Brown will also serve as ESU commencement speaker for December 2014.