Marketing + Media Relations University Photography
Capturing Images that capture the spirit + history of ESU
Dustin Michelson, University Photographer
University Photography’s responsibility is to capture images for digital and print marketing assets that support Emporia State Marketing & Media Relations objective: Advance ESU
Advancing ESU includes:
- Enrollment growth: student recruitment and retention
- University Foundation growth
- Earned media efforts, public relations (including social media) and news
University Photography uses the following priority framework to ensure the capture of visually exciting and historical images that celebrate the university, and to effectively manage resources.
LEVEL 1 – Photographed by ESU staff or student photographers
- Stock photography of student + university life, campus + community environment, and other lifestyle and scenic photos
- Marketing & Media Relations assignments
- Undergraduate and Graduate – Admissions + Recruitment photography
- Local, regional or national news stories scheduled for media release
- Magazines produced through Marketing & Media Relations
- Major recurring events (commencement, homecoming, etc)
- High-profile Foundation + Alumni images
- Board of Trustees group portrait
- Distinguished Alumni + Outstanding Recent Graduate portraits
- Major campaign events
- High-profile & one-time historic university events
- Groundbreakings, dedications, major campaign events
- High-profile speakers (visiting VIPs/dignitaries)
- Assignments from Office of the President
- Faculty & staff directory portraits
- Athletics promotional photoshoots
LEVEL 2 – Photographed by staff or student photographers as available
- University-wide events & award ceremonies
- Student life events open to general student population
- Department-specific photos (classroom activity, website/marketing, etc.)
- Student employee headshots (for official use in web & print)
- Athletic games
LEVEL 3 – Photographed by freelancers or by requestor using available checkout camera
- Student headshots
- Group photos
- Conferences, receptions, banquets & luncheons
- Department events & award ceremonies
- Employee events & award ceremonies
- Guest speakers (except for Level 1)
When a request cannot be fulfilled by University Photography, a checkout camera will be offered as availability allows. If you know that your event doesn’t need a photographer, but you would like to reserve a camera to capture photos of your event, please make a Camera Checkout Request.
Please be aware of the following when using the checkout cameras:
- Checkout requires a signature by a full-time university employee within the requesting department, and the provision of an index number that can be charged for replacement in the event of loss or damage to equipment.
- Cameras are reserved on a first-come-first-serve basis, so we recommend making your reservation as early as possible.
- Cameras will include a memory card, spare battery, charging cable, and manual. It is the responsibility of the requestor to arrange pickup of the camera from Marketing & Media Relations with sufficient time to charge batteries before your event.
- All photos taken with the checkout cameras are copyright of Emporia State University and will be made available for use through the university’s photo archive. A gallery link will be sent to the contact info provided at checkout once the photos are edited.
Walk-in Portrait Days
If you are unable to come in during the scheduled times, please contact us and we will schedule a time as studio space and our calendar allows.
We offer portraits to faculty & staff for use in the online directory and for promoting their work at Emporia State University. To accommodate the large number of portrait requests, we offer walk-in portrait days on the dates listed. No appointment is necessary. We are located in the basement of Plumb Hall (PH 005) in Marketing & Media Relations.
Coming to the Studio
To help get the best photo possible, we suggest wearing neutral colors and avoiding busy patterns.
Student portraits may be requested for student employees and other student positions that represent the university. We accommodate these requests based on availability and the planned use of the photos. For departments in need of student headshots/portraits, please fill out a photo request form, including a list of the student names and the use of the photos.