The Circulation Department - An Overview

The Circulation Department is located at the service desk on the 2nd floor of the library. This is where you can:

  • Check out or check in reserve materials.
  • Place holds and recalls on checked out materials.
  • Renew library materials.
  • Pay fines and ask questions about fines or overdue materials.
  • Operate photocopiers and microform reader/printers.
  • Obtain printouts from the library microcomputers.
  • Obtain a Kansas Resident Card.
  • Check for lost and found items.
  • Pick up or return Interlibrary Loan materials.
  • Obtain access to visually handicapped services.


Who can check out materials?

The University Libraries and Archives are open to anyone who wants to use them. In order to check out materials, an ESU ID (Hornet) card or a Kansas Resident Card is required.'


What are the check out times?

The check out periods for regular circulating items are:

  • Undergraduates and Staff............4 week check out
  • Graduate Students..........................8 week check out
  • Faculty and PhD Students.............Semester check out

All materials except those checked out by faculty are due back during finals week at the end of each semester. Books may be renewed in person, electronically by e-mail or by calling (620) 341-5205.' '


What is the Kansas Resident Card?

Individals who do not have ESU IDs, who are residents of the State of Kansas, are at least 18 years of age, and owe no fines, may obtain a Kansas Resident Card for $15.00 at the Circulation Desk. You will need to present a current Kansas drivers license, proof of your Social Security number and your address (on a drivers license, printed checks, mail, etc.) at the time of application.


Where do I return library materials?

Book drops located in and near W.A. White Library facilitate the return of materials. The main book drop is located in the Learning Commons and a second one can be found on Kellogg Circle Drive.'


What are holds and recalls?

You may place a hold on books that are already checked out, "on order" or "in process". Books that are checked out for more than two weeks can be recalled. For either holds or recalls, you will be notified when the books is returned, and it will be held for you at the Circulation Desk for one week.' '


What do I do if a book is missing?

If a books is not on the shelf and not checked out, you may fill out a "missing book" form to initiate a search. If it is located, you will be notified. A book that has already been declared missing may be requested through Interlibrary Loan. To access the form, click HERE.


What are the reserves?

Reserve materials are items that faculty require students to access for a particular course. They may be articles, readings, study guides, old exams, videotapes or a variety of other items. These are located at the Circulation Desk. An ESU ID or Kansas Resident Card is required to check reserves out. Depending on the material, items can be checked out for 2 hours, overnight, 2 days or 1 week. Fines for overdue reserve materials begin at $1.00 for the first hour and 60 cents per hour thereafter.


What are the fines for overdue and lost books?

Overdue materials are assessed a fine of 30 cents per day per book to a maximum of $50.00 per item. Patrons who lose books will be assessed a lost book fee based on the replacement price plus a $25.00 processing fee. Fines may be paid at the Circulation Desk or through the mail. Fines paid after 5 p.m. or on the weekends, may not be posted until the beginning of the next working weekday.' '


Are there photocopiers or printers to use?

Copiers and microfilm-microfiche reader printers are located on the 2nd floor behind the service desk. Assistance in using these machines is available at the Circulation Desk. To know more about printing in the library, click the link to SkyPrint services.


Can I find current newspapers and periodicals?

The current issues of the newspapers are located on 2nd floor by the North windows. The periodicals are located on the 1st floor. If you need assistance in accessing these materials please contact the service desk. You are encouraged to relax and read what is available.


What are the reciprocal lending privileges?

Graduate students, faculty and staff affiliated with Kansas Regents Universities and Washburn University and who have borrowing privileges at their respective libraries may borrow items from William Allen White Library.Students, faculty and staff from Flint Hills Technical College who have borrowing privileges at Flint Hills Technical College are also granted borrowing privileges from William Allen White Library.To find complete information on reciprocal borrowing, please contact the service desk.

Revised: July 7, 2009

Revised: April 14, 2014