Announcement from President Garrett
Fri, June 28 3 weeks ago
June 28, 2019
I hope that you are enjoying summer and are eager to start another school year.
Governor Laura Kelly and the Kansas Legislature passed a budget providing Regent Universities with a pool of salary dollars for employee pay increases in fiscal year 2020. Funding provided by the Governor and Legislature to ESU amounted to approximately 60% of the funds required to create a 2.5% salary pool. Therefore, the Vice Presidents and I have discussed how to use these funds and other university funds to meet our long-term pay commitments. This is a part of our overall approach to compensation. Those commitments include:
- Addressing compression issues that developed over many years, even if that’s done in small increments;
- Funding merit pay to reward high performers; and
- Maintaining a competitive pay system.
Our strategy with this pay pool will help us move forward with these commitments.
ESU has committed to a total salary pool of 2.5% for employees. The increases to faculty and staff will be administered as follows:
- 2/3 (1.68%) of the salary increase will be distributed to all benefits-eligible employees meeting the following criteria:
- Employed at ESU in a benefits-eligible position for one year or more as of September 1, 2019;
- Received a satisfactory or better on the most recent performance review/evaluation; and
- Completed the DiversityEDU training by the deadline of August 16, 2019.
- 1/3 (.82%) of the pool will be distributed based upon merit.
Employees can potentially receive both the base salary increase and a merit increase.
Pay increases will be effective for the pay period beginning October 6, 2019 (November 1, 2019 pay check). This will allow time to follow the merit processes established in policy, and to determine the specific criteria for administering merit increases. A FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) document is attached for additional explanation.
Continued participation in recruiting and retaining students and advocating for ESU in the community and with state legislators is key to moving ESU forward. Thank you, to each and every one of you. Your commitment to ESU is reflected daily in the rich learning opportunities that prepare our students for the future, the services and support delivered to our students, and the beauty of our campus.
Allison D. Garrett