How Do I Apply? (Undergraduate Students)


Apply for Admission


Visit the Admissions website at to complete your Application for Admission.


ESU Scholarship Application


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)


Go to to complete your FAFSA.

If you need assistance completing the FAFSA the Department of Education has published a "Completing the FAFSA" guide in English and Spanish, available here.


Need help completing the FASFA?

These helpful videos can assist you in completing the FAFSA:


FAFSA and FSA ID Tips for Parents:

Creating an FSA ID: 

FAFSA Overview: 

FAFSA: Determining Your Dependency:

How to Fill Out the FAFSA: 

After the FAFSA: What happens next?: 


Kansas Board of Regents Scholarship Application


Note:  You must have completed the FAFSA (Step 3) by April 1.
Note:  Deadline for this application is May 1.


Requested Documentation

  Our office may request for additional documentation to complete your file.  Please sign and return any requested documentation.


Aid Eligibility Requirements

  • Note:  You must be accepted to a degree-seeking program to be aid eligible.
  • Note:  You must be enrolled at least half-time to be Direct Loan eligible:
    • Summer - Half-time begins at 5 credit hours
    • Fall/Spring - Half-time begins at 6 hours


Accept or Decline Awards via Buzzin


If you are brand new to Emporia State your first award notification post card will be sent by regular mail and will be viewable on your Buzzin account.  If you are returning to Emporia State your first award notification will be sent to your student email address. Subsequent revisions will be sent via your student email address.  Your award offer will give you details on how to access your award via Buzzin so you can accept/reduce/decline your awards.


Accepting a Federal Loan?


If your award offer includes any of the three types of federal loans listed below, disbursement of those funds cannot take place unless the requirements for that loan have been completed as follows:

  • Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized/Unsubsidized)
    • Funded by and repayable to Direct Lending
    • If the student has not received Direct Stafford loan funds while at ESU, he/she must complete the following two requirements via
      • Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
      • Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students)
    • Funded by and repayable to Direct Lending
    • PARENTmust complete the following two requirements via
      • Parent PLUS Loan Application - this form must be completed for each requested loan
      • Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note - click "Complete New MPN for Parent PLUS" (note that valid Parent PLUS MPN's are active for 10 years after the first disbursement)


Reporting Outside Resources

  Federal law requires that students report any scholarship or grant awards from outside sources (church, high school, club, etc.) to the Office of Financial Aid, Scholarships, & Veterans Services.


Hornet Connection and Enrollment


New undergraduate students must attend an on-campus Hornet Connection.  Contact Admissions for more information about this orientation program.

Continuing students will need to enroll in their academic courses.

Please note that if you enroll at a lower enrollment level (i.e., full-time to half-time, etc.) than what your award offer states, your awards may be reduced.  If this is the case, you will be sent a revised award offer each time via your student email account.



  • Review Business Affairs Procedures on Billing/Payment at
  • Any excess funds that become available will be deposited into the bank account authorized by the student except for excess Parent Loan funds ware encouraged to complete and submit to the cashier, the Title IV form available at Hornet Connection or online at  This authorizes the use of your federal financial aid to pay for your university charges.