How Do I Apply? (Graduate Students)


Apply for Admission


Application fee varies (please refer to the link above for more information) payable to Graduate Studies and Research.
For more information, visit the Graduate Office's website at


ESU Scholarship Application


Graduate Student Assistantships


Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)


Note:  Priority Date for this application at ESU is March 15

If you need assistance completing the FAFSA the Department of Education has published a "Completing the FAFSA" guide in English and Spanish, available here

Need help completing the FASFA?

These helpful videos can assist you in completing the 2016-2017 FAFSA:


Start Here: 

Step 1: 

Step 2: 

Step 3: 

Step 4: 

Step 5: 

Step 6: 

Step 7: 

Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool: 


Kansas Board of Regents Scholarship Application


Note:  You must have completed the FAFSA (Step 3) by April 1.
Note:  Deadline for this application is May 1.


Requested Documentation

  Our office may request for additional documentation to complete your file.  Please sign and return any requested documentation.


Aid Eligibility Requirements

  • Note:  You must be accepted to a degree-seeking program to be aid eligible.**
  • Note:  You must be enrolled at least half-time to be Stafford Loan eligible:
    • Summer: Half-time begins at 4 hours*
    • Fall/Spring: Half-time begins at 5 hours*

*Note:  Graduates must be enrolled in at least half-time graduate level hours for most aid programs.  Enrollment levels for certain online accelerated programs are different and can be found at  Undergraduate hours are not funded unless they are pre-requisites required for the degree.  For your pre-requisites to be considered for funding, please go to and return the completed graduate pre-requisite worksheet to the Office of Financial Aid, Scholarships & Veterans Services, 1 Kellogg Circle, Campus Box 4038, Emporia, KS 66801 or by fax at 620.341.6088.

**Exceptions to this rule are teacher licensure students or students who are taking approved pre-requisites for admission into their graduate or teacher licensure program.


Accept or Decline Awards via BuzzIn


If you are brand new to Emporia State your first award notification post card will be sent by regular mail and will be viewable on your BuzzIn account.  If you are returning to Emporia State your first award notification will be sent to your student email address. Subsequent revisions will be sent via your student email address.  Your award offer will give you details on how to access your award via BuzzIn so you can accept/reduce/decline your awards.


Accepting a Federal Loan?


If your award offer includes any of the three types of federal loans listed below, disbursement of those funds cannot take place unless the requirements for that loan have been completed as follows:

  • Federal Direct Stafford Loan (Subsidized/Unsubsidized)
    • Funded by and repayable to Direct Lending
    • If the student has not received Direct Stafford loan funds while at ESU, he/she must complete the following two requirements via
      • Direct Loan Master Promissory Note
      • Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan (Graduate Students)
    • Funded by and repayable to Direct Lending
    • Graduate students must complete the following two requirements via
      • Graduate PLUS Loan Application - this form must be completed for each requested loan
      • Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note - click "Complete New MPN for Graduate PLUS" (note that valid Graduate PLUS MPN's are active for 10 years after the first disbursement)


Reporting Outside Resources

  Federal law requires that students report any scholarship or grant awards from outside sources (church, high school, club, etc.) to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.




Continuing students will need to enroll in their academic courses.

Please note that if you enroll at a lower enrollment level (i.e., full-time to half-time, etc.) than what your award offer states, your awards may be reduced.  If this is the case, you will be sent a revised award offer each time via your student email account.



  • Review Business Affairs Procedures on Billing/Payment at
  • Any excess funds that become available will be deposited into the bank account authorized by the student except for excess Parent Loan funds where the parent borrower may requests the excess funds.
  • New students need to complete and submit to the cashier, the Title IV form available online.  This authorizes the use of your federal financial aid to pay for your university charges.  You will receive the details of this in your billing statement.