Department Policies

Adding or Changing Sections

Students who would like to add a composition course or change sections during the first five days of the scheduled drop/add period are allowed to do so without permission of the department of English, Modern Languages, and Journalism as long as there are spaces open in the section (students must still get written permission from their faculty advisor in the Student Advising Center office, however). Students will not be allowed to enroll in closed sections without written permission of the Director of Composition or the chair of the department of English, Modern Languages, and Journalism (faculty/instructor signatures will not suffice).

Students who would like to add a composition course or change sections during the last five days of the scheduled drop/add period are allowed to do so only if they can show a documented hardship (such as work schedule or child-care conflicts). Since this means a student has lost a week or more of instruction, the department of English does not recommend late enrollment or section changes during the last five days of drop/add; students who are allowed to enroll or change section due to a hardship must also realize that the instruction missed cannot be repeated and that this may affect their grade. Students must obtain the written permission of the Director of Composition or the chair of the department of English, Modern Languages, and Journalism in order to add a course or change sections during the last five days of the drop/add period (faculty/instructor signatures will not suffice), as well as obtain written permission of the SAC office.


A student who submits as his or her own work a paper (i.e. a thesis, draft, completed essay, examination, quiz, or any other written work), which is taken in whole or part from another person's writing without proper acknowledgement (that is, the use of quotation marks and documentation for directly quoted work or some sort of specific citation for paraphrased material), is guilty of plagiarism. A student who submits a plagiarized paper or who allows another person to copy his or her work is subject to any one, or all, of the following actions:

  1. Receiving a 0 grade for the paper;
  2. Receiving an F grade for the course;
  3. Being reported to the university for possible disciplinary action.

Univeristy Policies

Academic Appeals

Any student who feels he/she has been dealt with unfairly concerning academic progress (such as course grades or absences) shall have access to an academic appeal through established procedures within one semester after the semester in which the issue occurs. The procedures are as follows:

  1. The student should discuss the issue with the faculty member involved and attempt to resolve the problem.
  2. If the problem cannot be resolved in such a discussion, the student should put in writing the particulars of the conflict and submit this to the department chair.
  3. The department chair will attempt to clarify the conflict, mediate the positions of both parties, and, if possible, identify resolution options that are acceptable to both parties.
  4. If the department chair is unable to resolve the conflict between the student and the faculty member, the student may request the department chair convene the Departmental Appeals Committe.
  5. The Departmental Appeals Committee shall review the written statements and may interview the students and/or faculty member. The student has the option of asking another student or member of the university community to be present at the interview. Legal counsel can be present, but cannot speak for either the student or the faculty member.
  6. If the issue is still not resolved, the matter may be appealed to the dean of the school/college, who will convene a School/College Academic Appeals Committee. The committee's final vote will be submitted to the dean, who will make the final decision. the process for academic appeals concludes with the dean, and there is no further appeal.

(For more information, see the ESU Student Handbook)

Faculty Initiated Student Withdrawal

If a student's absences from class or disruptive behavior become detrimental to the student's progress of that of the other students in the class, the faculty member shall attempt to contact the student in writing about withdrawing from the class and shall seek the aid of the office of the Vice President of Student Affairs to help insure contacting the student. The office of the Vice President of Student Affairs shall provide the student information about the existing appeals procedures. Upon receiving a written report from the faculty member, the Vice President of Student Affairs may initiate a student withdrawal from the class. None of the above implies or states that faculty members are required to initiate the students withdrawals for excessive absence.

(For more information, see the University Policy Manual)

Disability Services

Emporia State University has adopted a campus wide statement for our teaching community to use in advising students with disabilities where and how to seek accommodations on our campus. The statement is located in syllabi and states the following:

Emporia State University will make reasonable accommodations for persons with documented disabiliites. Students need to contact the Director of Disability Services and the professor as early in the semester as possible to ensure that classroom and academic accommodations are implemented in a timely fashion. All communication between students, the Office of Disability Services, and the professor will be strictly confidential.

(See the Office of Disability Services, South Morse Hall 211)

University Policy on Sexual and/or Racial Harassment

Emporia State University does not tolerate any behavior by administration, faculty, staff, or students which constitutes sexual or racial harassment of other students, faculty, staff, or administrators. Whenver a specific report of sexual or racial harassment is received by the Office of Student Affairs, it will be promptly investigated and corrective action will be taken if deemed necessary.

(For the complete policy, see the ESU Student Handbook or Section 3D.0106 of the ESU University Policy Manual)

Other Policies

Students should consult the ESU Student Handbook for other important policies, such as the Student Code of Conduct, University Policy on Equal Opportunity, the University Statement of Nondiscrimination, and the Student Bill of Rights.