Graduate and Undergraduate Applications for Admission


Thank you for applying for admission to graduate study at Emporia State University!  We look forward to having you as a member of our academic family.  If you should have any questions while submitting your application, please do not hesitate to contact the Graduate Admissions Coordinator, Mary Sewell via email at or telephone at 620-341-5403620-341-5403 or Toll Free at 1-800-950-GRAD1-800-950-GRAD.

Online Application

APPLY NOW - Electronic Application Only

Degree Seeking Students Admission Process

Non-Degree Seeking Students Admission Process

Click on Graduate Application Video to view the application screens/>.

Offline Application

If you need a paper application, please contact Mary Sewell in the graduate office at 620-341-6404620-341-6404 or 800-950-4723800-950-4723.

International Application

International Student Application - International students who hold or wil hold a F1 or J1 Visa and are applying to Emporia State University MUST complete the International Student Application and NOT the Graduate Application. Any questions regarding the admissions process for international graduate students should be directed to Gloria Swift, email, telephone 620-341-5374620-341-5374, or fax 620-341-5918620-341-5918.

Additional Admissions/Applications Requirement Forms

General Graduate Admission Requirements

  • Undergraduate Degree/Verification

A bachelors from a regionally accredited institution. Verification of undergraduate degree completion must be sent to the Graduate School before student may enroll in classes. (Documnets of degree completion include an unofficial transcript, copy of diploma or letter from undergraduate institution registrar). The documents can be faxed to 620-341-5909620-341-5909, or mail to: Emporia State University, Campus Box 4003, 1200 Commercial St., Emporia, KS 66801

  • GPA

A graduate point average of a minimun of 2.5 in the last 60 semesters hours of undergraduate student or an overall grade point average of a minimum of 3.0 for a completed master's degree. Please note: academic departments may require a higher GPA. Probationary admission to the Graduate School is permitted if the student has a grade point average between 2.2 and 2.49 on the last 60 hours of study. The student must achieve a 3.00 grade point average in his or her first nine semester hours of graduate study. If the student does not meet this condition, she or he will be permitted to continue in graduate study.

  • Transcripts:

Students must submit official transcripts from each institutuion they have attended. Students seeking a masters degree, graduate certificate or a PhD are required to submit official transcripts to the Graduate Office.  Transcripts are considered official when they arrive in the Graduate Office in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution.  If you completed your bachelors degree at Emporia State University, you do not need to request an official transcript from ESU. Please have your official transcripts mailed to:  Emporia State University, Campus Box 4003, 1200 Commercial St., Emporia KS  66801.

  • Departmental Requirements

The Academic Department to which you are applying may have additional admission requirements. Specific information about these requirements or exams may be obtained from the department in which one wishes to study or from the Graduate School

  • Application Fee:

    1. 1st Time Degree/Certificate Seeking Application Fee - $40.00
    2. Returning New Degree/Dual Degree (If you already have a graduate degree or have applied for a graduate degree and are returning to a new graduate degree) - $20.00
    3. 1st Time Licenure/Non-Degree Seeking Graduate - $25.00
    4. Re-Admit Degree/Certification - Inactive degree and certification students who have not taken courses for more than three years (inactive) and are returning to the same degree - $25.00.
    5. Returning Licensure/Non-Degree (If you have not taken courses for more than 3 years and have become inactive) - $25.00
    6. Changing from Licensure/Non-Degree to Degree/Certificate Seeking - $40.00
    7. 1st Time PhD - $50.00
    8. Returning PHD (If you have not taken courses for more than 3 years and have become inactive)- $25.00
    9. ESU will accept a McNair Application Fee Waiver.  Please call 620-341-6404620-341-6404 and ask about procedures to follow if you would like to submit a McNair Application Fee Waiver.

  Call or email 341-5403 or Toll Free at 1-800-950-GRAD1-800-950-GRAD or

Please click this link to begin your application process:  APPLY NOW


Thank you for your interest in applying to Emporia State University! This is your application if you are a US Citizen/Permanent Resident Who is...

  • A High School or Home School Graduate, or has completed a GED.
  • A Transfer Student from another college or university interested in programs on and off campus.
  • A Transfer Student who has completed a Bachelors Degree from a college other than ESU and would like to receive a Second Bachelors Degree.
  • A Graduate Student.
  • Online Application
  • Printable application

ID Verfication Form  - ID statement for distance students. All undergraduate students in distance programs (either off-campus or online) must complete this ID verification statement.

If one of the categories listed above doesn't describe you,  please consider one of the applications below.

Returning Student  - Have you been an ESU student in the past and would like to return?

Special Enrollment Application Registration Form (PRINTABLE) - Are you interested in taking a few classes to see what ESU has to offer? This is a "non-degree seeking" application.

Concurrent Student Application and Registration Form  (PRINTABLE) - Are you a high school student and want to take classes at ESU before you graduate from high school?

International Student- Are you from a country outside of the United States and wish to study in Kansas?

Second Bachelors - This application is for students who have previously taken classes at ESU, or have earned a Bachelors Degree from ESU. 

Facebook Small Icon