Department of Social Sciences Scholarships
The Social Sciences Department has several scholarships available for students.
- Guy Buzzard: ($200) Full time student specializing in Geography.
- H. Edward and Marla Flentje Endowed Scholarship: (One award of $1000 and one award of $900) Ed Flentje is an ESU graduate (’64), former interim president of ESU, and recently retired from the Hugo Wall School of Public Affairs at Wichita State University.
- Robert D. Linder Scholarship: ($1,000) History major, 3.5 GPA. ESU Alumnus who taught history at K-State.
- Dr. Edwin Charles Moreland Memorial: ($300) Junior./Senior, any field in the Department of Social Sciences, 3.0 GPA, complete FAFSA, 60 hours completed, Kansas resident. Moreland was a professor in ESU Social Sciences, staring in ’65. He hosted the Foreign and Domestic Affairs Conference and the Model UN.
- Milo Matthews: ($400) Graduate student scholarship. Need-based. Endowed by anonymous donor to honor Milo Matthews, a native of Armstrong, IA who was unable to pursue higher education but became a successful farmer, carpenter, and contractor.
- William F. Phillips and Vernita Rich: ($400) Social Sciences or Special Ed. major, 3.5 GPA. Rich was an ESU grad (Bachelor’s ’35, Master’s ’54) and taught special ed. Phillips was a Geography professor at ESU from ’69-’89 and an alumnus (Bachelor’s/Master’s). Taught world and urban geography, and cartography.
- Captain Robert Rives: ($400) for students specializing in archival work.
- Donald & Marguerite Riggin Shepherd: ($1,000) Students in the Social Sciences Education program or with a major in History. The Shepherds both earned a BSE at Emporia State and support the Social Sciences education program with this scholarship.
For more information on scholarships contact:
Social Sciences, Box 4032
1 Kellogg Cir.
Emporia, KS 66801