Sociology, Anthropology, Crime & Delinquency Studies Bachelor of Science, Sociology
Bachelor of Science - Sociology
Deepen your understanding of society with a bachelor's degree in Sociology and become an agent of social change.
Including general education requirements and other electives, the Bachelor of Science in Sociology requires a total of 120 credit hours. The curriculum is designed to be flexible enough to pursue careers in local, state, and federal agencies, or to gain admission to graduate study in a field of specialization.
In addition, sociology majors may choose a concentration in Child Maltreatment and Family Violence.
What can you do with this degree?
This Bachelor of Science degree is designed primarily for those students who intend to pursue careers in social service, law enforcement, criminal justice, government agencies, and other related fields, or who want more extensive preparation in the discipline of sociology for advanced degree programs.
The degree Bachelor of Science in sociology is designed to provide a student with in-depth academic preparation in the field of sociology. Students pursuing the B.S. degree with a major in sociology are required to complete 45 semester hours in sociology.
Program Learning Objectives
Students in this program,
- Learn how the self develops sociologically and to explain the relationship between the individual and society.
- Explore social problems such as poverty, racism, discrimination, and inequality from different theoretical perspectives.
- Evaluate quantitative and qualitative research reports, scholarly articles, policies, and media information.
- Identify practical and ethical issues involved with the study of human behavior by studying the American Sociological Association Code of Ethics.
- Express and communicate sociological knowledge inside and outside the classroom.
- Learn how social factors such as race, gender, sexuality, social class, and age influence social interaction and our perceptions and ideas.
- Participate in learning activities that will facilitate student’s interaction with people from different cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.