Communication Department About
Welcome to the Communication program at ESU
About the Communication Department
The Communication Program at Emporia State offers a variety of courses and concentrations of study, which are designed to provide communication majors with cognitive abilities, competencies, and skills that equip them to meet the challenges of evolving workplaces, navigate emerging technologies, and respond to complex social problems. Our alumni are successful relationship partners, engaged leaders in society, informed global citizens and consumers, and contributing members of organizations. Effective communication skills never become obsolete. Instead, individuals with these skills benefit both personally and professionally. Research routinely shows that strong communication skills are among the most desired by employers.
Our faculty have received numerous awards and recognitions for their teaching, research, and service including:
- A two-time winner of both the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Annual Award for Excellence in Instruction at Emporia State University and the Kansas Speech Communication Association Outstanding College Speech Teacher Award, as well as a member of the Kansas Speech Communication Association Hall of Fame;
- A recipient of the Oklahoma Speech Theatre Communication Association Josh Lee Service Award who was also awarded the Presidential Award for Distinguished Service to Diversity by Emporia State University;
- A winner of NACADA and ACT Outstanding Academic Advisor Award who is also a member of the Kansas Speech Communication Association Hall of Fame and a Kansas Master Teacher;
- A recipient of the Ruth Schillinger Award (given to an individual who has made extraordinary contributions to the women of Emporia State over a sustained period of time) and former director of the Ethnic and Gender studies program;
- A winner of the President's Award for Research and Creativity at Emporia State University and the ESU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Scholarship Award;
- A coach of the National Debate Tournament and Cross Examination Debate Association national champions, the first team ever to win both national titles, who thus earned the assistant-coach of the year award; and
- A recipient of the K. Patricia Cross Future Leaders Award from the Associate of American Colleges & Universities and winner of the W. Charles Redding Dissertation Award from the International Communication Association.
- Our debate team boasts an award-winning coaching staff, having won a combined three national championships. The assistant director, Courtney Schauer, was recognized as the person of the year in 2018 and critic of the year in 2017.