The photography area at ESU introduces students to black and white darkroom, digital, non-silver processes, 35mm SLR and DSLR cameras, medium format and large format view cameras, and studio lighting. Emphasis is placed on the development of technical foundation, content, creativity, and individual artistic identity. In addition to explorations of the medium through various technical approaches, the history of photography and building a professional resume through exhibition, publication, and scholarship is underscored. Through the Photo Club, students gain experiences in networking, practical medium applications, portfolio development, and portfolio reviews with visiting artists, both locally and through attendance of regional and national photo conferences. Though not required, students are encouraged to complete an internship with a professional photographer whose career closely mirrors the goal of the student.
Morgan Ford Willingham, Assistant Professor
- Lori Nix
- Jess T. Dugan
- Priya Kambli
- Zora J. Murff
- Letitia Huckaby
- Larry Schwarm
- David Johnson and poet Phillip Matthews
- Elizabeth Claffey
OPPORTUNITIES AT ESU
- Student Organizations. Join your artist community in clubs such as the Clay Guild, Glass Guild, Photo Club, National Art Education Association (NAEA), and American Institute of Graphic Artists (AIGA).
- Art Galleries. Emporia has two galleries, the Norman R. Eppink & Gilson Memorial Galleries. Come be inspired by local and national pieces!
- Student Exhibitions. Present your best work at the Annual Juried Student Exhibition, and admire the work of your peers.
- Art Forum Visiting Artists Lecture Series. Come listen to and meet outstanding artists from around the country.